G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing with the 2005 Sam's Club coaches that I was last taking the Xmas decals off...

Way back some time ago I came across a great tutorial by Jack Thompson on how to make a tarpaper roof using masking tape, CA glue, and paint. I dug that how to out recently and while my results are not up to Jack's level the technique is simple and it turned out fairly well given my level of ability (or inability ).

Out of the box you have the shiny plastic textured roof:

Jack's tutorial walked me though getting the masking tape on and sealed (shown here side by side with an untouched car):

Some paint (grimy black then straight black for the "tar" strips) and it sures is an improvement. Do keep in mind that I am all thumbs with cameras and these pictures do not do the finished work justice):

And a side by side comparison:

Many thaks to Jack Thompson for taking the time to post the tutorial:

http://4largescale.com/Thompson/49.htm

and thanks to everyone on MLS who shares all their wonderful tips and know how on this great hobby.

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hi TJ,

Looks good to me, much much better than the stock paint job. I like the contrast between the gray roof and the black tar stripes. Nice job.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Tarpaper coach roof (pics & thanks to Jack T.)

Chuck,

> I like the contrast between the gray roof and the black tar stripes. Nice job.

Thanks! I'm very pleased with this first effort. Jack's How To is wonderful and easy to follow. The pictures really do not do it justice.

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> What did you use to seal the masking tape?

Following Jack Thompson's guide (see the link at the end of my original post) I used Krazy Glue (a fairly common CA glue that comes with a handy brush applicator). Only difference is that Jack was able to find the "Change color" flavor that goes on purple and dries clear. I could not locate this locally and was too impatient to wait to order it over the internet so I used the clear stuff. The change color feature would certainly have helped given the large area I was trying to cover. But I think either works okay if you are careful and patient.

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
926 Posts

TJ, Nice work. Jack's idea of using masking tape is certainly a viable one. However, in the October 1997 issue of Garden Railways, the late Lee Vande Visse, art director at MR, wrote an article entitiled "Finishing & Detailing a Bachmann Coach," which described using velum typing paper cut into 1-1/2 inch squares and glued to the roof, which was then painted with Grimy Black. I used this technique on my Bachmann combine and it looks pretty good. I'd post a photo, but since the car sat undusted on my living room floor for a couple of years, it has a natural coat of real dirt that needs to be cleaned off before I shoot and post a photo.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Stan,

Thanks! Hope to work my way up to your level some day ! Really love that "short" line engine you did.

Joe,

I'd sure like to see a picture of that when you get the chance. 1997 is way before my time in the hobby.

Best regards,
TJ

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Jack very nice . Alway nice to see someone take on a project and use ideas and how toos from another person. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jack,

I'm a big fan of your modeling work, thanks so much for going to the trouble of posting your how-to on this. You can't beat this hobby and MyLargeScale.com in particular for finding resources to help with any project.

Very best regards,
TJ

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

TJ,

Nice job on the roof. Really looks great! Thanks for the post. I've been contemplating lengthening a couple of Bachmann coaches just a bit. The joints are the hardest thing to conceal. Your technique looks like just the thing for the roofs.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Richard,

> Your technique looks like just the thing for the roofs.

Not my technique, I got the idea from Jack Thompson (http://4largescale.com/Thompson/49.htm). I just adopted it to my more beginner level. But it works great and would be just thing for hiding a joint in a lengthened car. Plus is just a much better roof than the shiny plastic that comes out of the box.

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
453 Posts

Your tarpaper roof makes the coach look very real. Nice work.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
TJ, I finally cleaned off my combine and tacked down all the unsightly edges that had peeled back after the car satd around for three years. If the photo shows it, my roof done in Lee style, looks different than yours, which is done a la Jack, and looks neater. And, being tape, it will probaly last longer, although ya never know.

Meanwhile, for those of you interested in Lee's reroofing method, here's my combine photo. Sorry about the image quality, but resizing to 60K?! Barbaric.

BTW, in the Garden Railways article, it says to cut the paper into 1/2-inch squares. I'm sure it's meant to say "1-1/2 inch" because I tried it the other way and the pieces were way too small. Also, the paper I used is made by Mead and is called "Academie Tracing Paper." You stick it on with Elmer's or maybe Aalene's, then paint it Grimy Black.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Joe,

Thanks for sharing that picture. Very nice!

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided that the new roof really called out for some detailing on the car. A little paint and the end decks look a bit better, I think.

I certainly appreciate the comments and feedback on this ongoing project. One car down, one to go.

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Those look great! I recently redid a couple old bachmann cars myself and now I wish I'd done the roofs

One thing I re-did which I really liked was the clerestory windows. On mine they were pink, which looked really odd with the green color I chose. I replaced them with strips of clear styrene that I ran back and forth over a sanding drum

But why didn't I think to paint the brake wheel! Now I'm inspired to get back to work on them

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts

using masking tape is certainly a viable one. However, in the October 1997 issue of Garden Railways, the late Lee Vande Visse, art director at MR, wrote an article entitiled "Finishing & Detailing a Bachmann Coach," which described using velum typing paper cut into 1-1/2 inch squares and glued to the roof,

The other option is Kevin's (Mr EBT) - aluminum foil duct tape used by the a/c guys. I guess it has a different texture from the masking tape. See his coach #3 thread:
[url]http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/8/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/16587/Default.aspx#16587[/url]

And here's Mr K's pic of his roof:

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts

What a difference TJ! Very nice. I'm going to have to give it a go sometime.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts