G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Here's a few pictures of the completed 60' HyCube boxcar resin kits available from Burl.
I made mine to match roadnames around the 1980 timeframe.
These are great kits, and I commend Burl for making these available.

Stan Cedarleaf printed the decals from my artwork for the MP car.

Here's a string of 7 hoppers that I decaled up over the holidays.....thanks again to Stan for his decal services.

Here's my next project....another of Burl's kits. This one will become a Conrail car (get ready for more work Stan;))

Brian Briggs

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blackburn,
Thanks, I have mixed emotions about having elevated the whole thing.

Dave,
The hoppers are USA Trains - black undecorated with data only.

Brian Briggs

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Those are really nice but one question the brownish, and the black one seem to have several like wrinkles, or blemishes in the sides is that normal? common, or a flaw?????????? thanks/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
I was especially impressed with the "wrinkles", the model looks so realistic with them. I would guess the effect is on purpose.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greg,

You need to frequent the Modelmaking forum on this site a little more.
Burl posted great threads detailing how he made these and other cars.

Here's the thread on how he did these cars
http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45880

His website for purchasing them is "burlrice.com"

He does wonderful work.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Blueregal,

The wrinkles occur on the real cars because of deformation due to welding the ribs to sheet steel. Burl's representation is the first succesful attempt at duplicating the effect that I've seen.

Brian Briggs

·
Registered
30 Posts
WOW! I was going to comment on "the wrinkles" also....I love them!....then, as I scrolled down, I noticed that I'm not the only one. those are AWESOME!!!! Probably the best "effect" I've ever seen incorporated onto a rolling stock piece. They really add a lot. ......Burl, I just read the thread on your construction...AMAZING work!!!
-axdop

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Got the site... quick question, is this stuff 1:29? The site is very minimalistic. (I promise to go to the forum and read later)

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Wrong time of the year to ask, but before I jump in on one of his kits, I'm wondering how the resin castings will hold up in the summer sun?  Should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Paul,

That I can't answer yet. Maybe someone else has bought some of Burl's previous cars and could comment.
Or you could go to Burl's site and ask him.

Brian B.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts