G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

Finally taking the leap into live steam. I've had indoor layouts in both G/Fn3 and HO in both DCC and DC over the years, and now I'm finally ready to start plowing snow in my yard. Not interested in trying to maintain track continuity on an out door layout or dealing with batteries and have always wanted live steam locos, so now is the time. Hoping to find some great advice and to start a new fleet on here with you folks. Looking forward to participating in the forum and learning about what it has to offer.

Best,
Craig

· Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Welcome to MLS Craig, and to live steam.
Any particular interest into what type of locos you hope to get?
I see that you are already contacting Richard about the Commanders estate.
Cheers,
David Leech, Canada

· Registered
580 Posts
Welcome to live steam Craig, you will love it with it's frustrations and delights. Best advice I can give straight up is make the curves as big a radius as you can. Ten foot radius (20ft diameter) or bigger is what you should aim for to get trouble free running. Always ask questions if not sure as no question is a dumb question and collectively here there will be answers.
Russell

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to MLS Craig, and to live steam.
Any particular interest into what type of locos you hope to get?
I see that you are already contacting Richard about the Commanders estate.
Cheers,
David Leech, Canada
Hi the David,

I've always loved geared logging locos like Shays, Heislers, and Climaxes since I climbed all over one when I was about 4 years old in Dunsmuir, CA. I acyually got married at Roaring Camp and Big Trees and our whole wedding dressed in period costume as their Shay hauled us up the mountain. I'm also a huge fan of DRG narrow gauge locos, especially Mudhens and K-28s. Hoping to acquire at least one of each over time. Definitely leaning more towards Fn3 rather than 1/32. I only have about a 1/4 acre to play with, and I think the narrow gauge stuff will look and run a lot better in the space I have to work in.

What do you like to run? Have you been into live steam long?

Best,
Craig

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to live steam Craig, you will love it with it's frustrations and delights. Best advice I can give straight up is make the curves as big a radius as you can. Ten foot radius (20ft diameter) or bigger is what you should aim for to get trouble free running. Always ask questions if not sure as no question is a dumb question and collectively here there will be answers.
Russell
Thank you Russell. It seems that no matter what the scale, more is always better when it comes to radius. I have about a 1/4 acre to play with, and will definitely follow your advice on those broad curves. What do you like to run? Any particular locos or eras that are your favorite?

Best,
Craig

· Registered
580 Posts
Hi Craig, a 1/4 acre sounds good to make a great layout. My interests are wide and varied with 1:20.3 scale D&RGW narrow gauge the main one with French 1:32 scale next followed by our own local 2'6" narrow gauge line "Puffing Billy" with it's Baldwin tank loco's and then Isle of Man 3 foot gauge all on 45 mm gauge 1 and all live steam. Thirty five plus years into gauge 1 live steam has enabled me to collect quite a few over time but you can really only run one or two at a time successfully.
Russell

· Registered
8 Posts
Well, I have been running live steam in the garden, for the past 15 odd years.I too have a liking for Fn3 geared and D&RGW rodded locos. I have a feeling you will be looking at mostly Accucraft products, although Regner and Aster are worth a look, but watch their scales.. Geared live steamers are one of the few live steam types that are ideal for manual operation. Unless you have a level " race track". Accucraft's 2 & 3 cylinder Shays have a good reputation (I have the 3 cyl) but my favourite is their Climax. Looking at rodded locos try to start with something manageable, like a C-16 or C-19. The K-27 & K-28 are beautiful but absolute beasts and can present problems with their timing. They also really need RC to get the best out of them. Tip, keep a battery loco handy for those lazy days and stick to gas fired, at least for starters. Max

· Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
223 Posts
Craig,
Welcome. I am only 3 years ahead of you in the dive into live steam. So I am no expert, but I can share my early lessons.

I started with a Ruby, good for learning, tolerant of beginning mistakes. It is 1:20.3 and could be bashed to suit the road you want to emulate. There are LOTS of articles on that engine as it seems everyone has had one at some point. If you want a kit buy new. If you want ready to run, get one second hand from an experienced steamer, it may come with all the do-dads already.

A shay may be another good starter, but I have no experience.

Building your layout should be faster than planning your build. Meaning the more time on your plan will result in a happier experience in the end. I spent 18 months planning route, materials, construction techniques, and it took only 8 months to build my elevated 230 foot loop solo on weekends (3 of those months saw no activity)

And find a local steam group to join. A lot of them are happy to share experience in person.

Otherwise this site is always great, this was my source of steam interaction for the first 2 years until I met locals.

Tyler

· Premium Member
680 Posts
Craig,
If you are still in CA, there are many experienced live steamers, clubs and events there to enjoy and benefit. There are also introductory books that you may find some value to assist in the learning curve.
If interested, i can list a few-i think I have one extra intro book i can send to you as well. Message me your address.
Welcome and let us know if your have any questions.

Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts