G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Easements! I have easements. I ignore them. While my easement is a utility easement the only utility there is the electric company. The other utilities are on the other side of the fence. The likely hood that the electric company will have to access them is very small. While there may be a utility easement or other kind of easement on your property you should get a copy of the easement documents from whomever you need to get them from and read them. Remember you still own the property, someone else just has the right to use it for a specific pourpose. Here in AZ the easement is linked to the use which means that after the use is removed the easement goes away and if it was never used the easement was never there. Example, the gas company has an easement along the side of your yard. They remove the gas line the easement ends. If the phone company wants to come along later and add a phone line there they need to buy a new easement from you. (That's why most utility easements are utility easements in AZ (as opposed to specific utility companies), so all the utility companies can use the same easement.) I happened to be involved in another legal mater when I bought my house so I had my attorney look them over. He discovered that while there is a utility easement along the back side of my back yard there is no right of access. Which means they can't come across my back yard to access it. They will be tresspassing. Further they can't remove the fence since it is mine. If they want to climb over the fence to access it they can but if they need equipment to dig they need to get a crane to raise and lower the equipment over the fence. And since the easement is only 3 feet wide they need a very narrow piece of equipment!. Most likely they will need to dig by hand. A good use of your easement would be an access/viewing path or plants of some sort. Remember you will need access to most of your RR at some time or another. It is your property it's just if they need to access it for something anything in their way may need to be removed. Unless it is an emergency they just can't come in and start bulldozing things up. They need to give you notice. Get a good attorney and you will be dead 50 years before it is out of court but please, please check with your local and state laws th be sure just what that are in your area.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
If you have to put track in that area you could always secure it to some plywood or something so that it could be removed and then put back down. While utility service people are accessing it I bet they are only accessing control or access boxed and not digging things up which is nice in itself. Once you get things done most of them will find it interesting and try not to disturb it. Just make sure there is access to the junction boxes and manhole.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.