G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
RE: Switches - Plug & Play

One reason that you have not received negative comment on USAT switches is that they are not readily available and therefore not in widespread use. Many of us, myself included, have never ever seen one.

You also did not mention Outback nor Llagas Creek both of whom make fine switches.

In short, the only ones you did receive negative comment about were LGB and Aristo ... and I would agree that the comments are well deserved. But do not take that to mean that other switches are problem free.

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
RE: Switches - Plug & Play

If you are using battery power (I think you stated so earlier) and semi scale wheelsets, there are no fully plug and play switches - that assumes that plug and play means including a positive switch throw. Both Llagas Creek and Sunset Valley can be ordered plug and play from suppliers with a third party switch throw installed at a higher price. I do not know if the same is true for Outback. Note that rail size is code 215 and code 250.

In code 332, both Aristo and LGB (and possibly USAT) come with a positive swiotch throw but they are unsuitable for semi scale wheelsets due to gauge problems through flangeways. The positive switch throw is imho worthless in climates where they sit under snow for several months - ask me how I "discovered this!

In short, the lack of accepted track standards does not leave you many choices for plug and play depending on the parameters that you set for that terminology.

Personally, I use Llagas Creek and make my own throws ...

Regards ... Doug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.