G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That thing is haulin a-s, it always amazes me to see something that big move that quick/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif
Nick...

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Nick,

Great video and U.P. always does it with CLASS!:D Brute power. Not a dis-easal in sight! I wish Southern Pacific would have let 3751 run last weekend without diesel help.:mad:

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Nick,

With 80 inch drivers she was built to go fast, could cruise @ 100 MPH all day.. Wonderful engine & needs no helpers!! Got to see her in Topeka, Ks..

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Not only does it amaze me that the big thing moves like ****, but the fact that you have a steam boiler with all of it's various controls and monstrous moving parts, move thousands of tons, controlled by two people, and they live to tell about it!

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I LOVE that locomotive, I've been all over it, in the cab, and seen it run several times. I wish they would repaint it back to the two tone gray scheme, but it was too expensive and difficult to maintain. Did you know that UP 844 (or 8444) was never retired from the active roster list? And that makes the Union Pacific the only Class 1 railroad to never completely dieselize.

Most of the time when diesels are used in conjuction with steam engines it is for braking requirements only, as mandated by the railroad it's running on. Steam engines don't have dynamic brakes.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Gary,

I think you meant BNSF not Southern Pacific. There is no SP anymore thanks to the Union Pacific. AND, BNSF doesn't have a steam program as yet, so for insurance reasons, the diesel was added as a pilot engine. No one is qualified on the BNSF to run a steamer and no one on the SBRHS is qualified to run on the RR.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Thanks Greg,
I should've known better about the SP. The last time I saw 4449 come through Tehachapi and then Burbank was over 25 years ago and it was SP then. I have trouble keeping up with these damn mergers. I just naturally think of everything in this area as SP. Still in my childhood memories.:D"

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Posted By Greg Stevens on 05/07/2008 9:38 PM
Gary,
I think you meant BNSF not Southern Pacific. There is no SP anymore thanks to the Union Pacific. AND, BNSF doesn't have a steam program as yet, so for insurance reasons, the diesel was added as a pilot engine. No one is qualified on the BNSF to run a steamer and no one on the SBRHS is qualified to run on the RR.

So....are you saying that when 3751 comes to San Diego next month...it will be in tow???? Or in tow only to where the North County Transit District owns the track starting in Oceanside? I was thinking of go seeing it under steam....hmmmm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooops found another one for you guys
what would happen if a rod fell off at this speed? has it ever happend before and what was the results.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/cry.gif
Nick..

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Posted By Mike Reilley on 05/07/2008 11:04 PM
Posted By Greg Stevens on 05/07/2008 9:38 PM
Gary,

So....are you saying that when 3751 comes to San Diego next month...it will be in tow???? Or in tow only to where the North County Transit District owns the track starting in Oceanside? I was thinking of go seeing it under steam....hmmmm

Forget all that....it's PULLING as steam excursion...so it will be under power.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Rods generally don't fall off, they just break from fatigue, and most of the time it's the main rod (the one from the piston to the drivers). Alot of times they just tear alot of stuff up, but sometimes on locomotives with longer main rods (like 844) they have been known to come up and punch a hole in the boiler, THAT'S BAD. This rarely happened though because of the weight of the rod.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Posted By nick s. on 05/07/2008 3:12 PM

That thing is haulin a-s, it always amazes me to see something that big move that quick/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif" border=0>
Nick...

I didn't watch this clip the first time I replyed to your thread.

Simply amzing! It doesn't even look like it broke a sweat. What was your speed as you were pacing it?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 to FLYING in 2 1/2 minutes. Love these videos.:)" border=0>:)" border=0>:)" border=0>:)" border=0>:)" border=0>:)" border=0>:)" border=0>
You know with the pending price of fuel, we should just park the Dash 9's and SD 70's and put these beauties back to work.
Jeff
Tallapoosa and Southern RR

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Yes, side and main rods did break and/or come off. Not often, but often enough to be of concern and often enough that the old "Camel Back" or "Mother Hubbard" type locos were outlawed. When rods came off those engines, the side of the cab was wiped from the side of the boiler along with the person in the cab... body parts were hard to identify afterwards.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts