G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the front truck of my J1e Hudson derailing over switches and stuff. Some guys in our club suggested that I go to Menards and pick up some bigger springs, and that will fix the problem.

The guys failed to mention what size springs and what tension I should go for. Since I am mechanically challenged, I was hoping someone could possibly help me out with a suggestion as to the right set of aftermarket springs to use to bolster up my front and rear J1e Hudson trucks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Russell-

Have never had my hands on one of those before. Can you take photos from top, sides, bottom and post them?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Frankly this falls into a very typical trail n error approach to your needed solution.

If you remove any spring on the loco currently... take it to a hardare store an start choosing others similar..

Before tear down... with loco on a shelf. Such that you can see the wheels easily.... use a small flat screw driver ... lift the trucks an get a feel for the effort....
Play with springs.. testing this effort.. try something that gives you a more solid feel..
Only run enough pressure to solve your jumping off rail.. more is not needed....

Yes.. this will take some time on your part.. that's why it's called a hobby!!
Try various springs.. run the loco.. find the sweet spot that works best!

Then sit back n have fun with your trains.

Dirk

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
The other thing you could do is add some lead weight to the bolster. You can get 0.5 to 1oz sinkers at any sporting goods store. Flatten them out with a hammer and glue them to each side of the bolster. I'd try 1/2oz on each side of the screw hole and if that doesn't work try an ounce on each side.

I agree with Dirk, take the truck off and then take the spring to a hardware store and get one of the same size (dimensions) and has is stiffer. This may take a try or two.

What switches are giving you trouble? I don't have any trouble on my LGB 18000s with my USAt Hudson.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
derailing over switches and stuff.
Before you try any mods (weights, springs, whatever,) check that the wheels are rotating true (no wobbles) and are the correct distance apart (1.575" back-to-back.) You may just have one wheel out of alignment.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I had a similar problem with one of my Aster Mikes. Instead of making the spring stronger, which would effectively lift the front of the loco more, I put some weights on the truck itself. I used the weights sold at the hobby shop for toy racecars. They had foam adhesive on them, but that didn't stick to the "well oiled" truck frame, so I used epoxy to hold them on. I managed to add about ten 1-oz weights to the truck frame (6 above and 4 below) and they are hardly noticeable from the side. Probably could have added more. The other Mike never had the problem; I don't know if it was wheel misalignment (gage or twisted on the axle) or a weak spring, but the weights did the trick.

·
Registered
133 Posts
By any chance were the flanges turned down to be more prototypical? If that was the case you will have a ton of problems with LGB switches.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to add any more weights because the loco is heavy enough (26 lbs) already. I'd rather not do the trial and error method because I already have a friend coming to help me disassemble the locomotive. I'm not very good at taking things apart and putting them back together. That's why I was hoping someone had done it before and could tell how to do it on the first try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts