G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 1:20 traditional Vermont sugar house, kinda fits in with the time of year.
It has verticle board (pine) siding with no battens. The roof will be corregated aluminum.
For a barn board effect, i painted on light gray water based craft paint, wiped it off with a damp rag.  Then brushed an alcohol india ink (heavy on the ink) wash.  Has anyone built a scale sugar house?  

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Vermont? Hrmph. We got some fine Maple here in western NY state thanks! Of course the maple shacks are all about the same.

One of the local ones has a 1:24th scale model of "an old time sugar shack" as I recall but it's been years since I've been there.

Chas

P.S. Show us some photos soon!

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Sounds great, Chris. Always nice to hear about different methods. Please post pics as soon as you can!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying to post pics of the sugar house.  Is there a way to paste images into a reply if your are not a 1st class member?  Whent thru the FAQ but could not make it work.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Yes, Chris, you can post pictures if you have set up someplace else on the web to store your pictures - ie photobucket.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
This is a great idea. My grandfather used to make maple syrup and I have some very fond memories of going back there on a tractor and hanging out for the day. Gonna have to find some pics of that old shack and see if I can model it!

Thanks for sharing the idea and please get those pics up!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Heres a photo of the sugar house.  Made from scap except the broiler pan roofing and the stove pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By chrisb on 02/25/2008 1:45 PM
Having trouble post the picture.  Any Ideas?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/chrisb1to20/waitingtotap.jpg

Chris

From the look of things, the problem that you encountered is split into two areas.
  1. If you were using the Quick Reply feature to post your reply, then the problem in your second attempt is the fact that you are using uppercase letters i.e. IMG, which won't work. You need to use lowercase letters in the UBB/BBC tags.
  2. If instead you were using the Rich-text Editor accessed via the Add Reply button located at the top and bottom of each topic page, or the Reply link located on the right side of each reply header, Then the problem is, the UBB/BBC tags are not valid and you must use the Insert/Edit Image button
     located on the editors tool bar.  

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Me too! I thought that was a "prototype" shot!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts