G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Wana go to Cuba?

Yes, I do sand the styrene. I like sanding foam from Home Depot. I've not joined anything that big but would not hesitate at trying it. There a few options including slow set CA. Much depends on precisely the shapes being joined. CA has been more reliable for me than solvent and sets up quicker.

Jack

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
TAP Plastics stocks the BRON "Killer Red" tape in 1/2" width on their website. Click here : KILLER RED TAPE . TAP actually purchases the tape in 12" wide Logs and has it slit to different widths. I usually have 4" wide and 1" wide rolls for use in my store in San Leandro. Because of the cost we only sell the wider widths by special order and because of the high minimum, those special orders don't come often.

I have a feeling that your warping is caused by using an excessive amount of the solvent cement. A little bit goes a long way with solvent cements. I've found that straight MEK is a better cement for Styrene and ABS then is a Methylene Chloride derivative. Remember, these are not glues but solvents. They work by melting the surface of the plastic and then evaporating away.

Russ Miller

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I bought a roll of the "killer red" tape..and was disappointed..

I wanted to try the tape instead of glue to stick the cab panels together..
"no glue, no warping" being the theory..
I have read some descriptions of the killer red tape that say "no base, only adhesive" or words to that effect..
its not true..there is a base..
its basically a thin double-sided tape.

For my On2 scale cab, the tape is too thick..
the thickness of the tape makes my panels too far apart..there is a noticeable gap created by the tape thickness..

the killer red might work better for large scale, bit for my On2 cab, it was not a usable solution..

Scot

21 - 24 of 24 Posts