G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you read the article in GR Jack credits a guy for referring him to the Bron Killer Red tape.  I am that guy. (though they misspelled my last name )  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif  This tape is an incredible material.  It is SUPER STRONG.  It is an industrial product generally not sold to the public.  I have used this material professionally for years as a museum model fabricator.  They will sell to anyone but I believe there is a minimum order.

Killer Red is actually a copy of a 3M product called VHB which stands for "very high bond".  The tape is very thin-- unlike traditional foam mounting tapes.  It is water clear.  The red color is actually the separator film that protects the adhesive.  The adhesive is water resistant.  It works best on smooth, non-porous materials like plastic, but I have used it on wood as well.  I use this stuff all the time.  It works well for laminating layers, making jigs, "clamping" parts temporarily while you drill for fasteners, etc.  I use it on nearly every project I make.  It has changed the way I fabricate things because applying adhesive can be fast, clean and the bond is instantaneous.  I highly recommend this product.  It isn't cheap though--  a 3/4" wide roll will set you back about 35 bucks.  The rolls last a long time.  Narrower widths are available all the way down to 1/4" and they are cheaper.

If there are any other questions feel free to ask.  Russ Miller is also familiar with this material.

Regards,

Eric Maschwitz

1 - 1 of 1 Posts