G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some new cleaning gear and wanted to see how it performed.

When I went to remove the 58mm Hoya filter on my DSLR, however, I was shocked to find that despite my best efforts with fingers alone, I couldn't get that filter to budge.

Before I start experimenting with various hand tools, has anybody already solved a situation like this without producing scratches or more serious damage?

Dennis

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is off.

Delicate use of an appropriately sized gripping tool got the pesky filter off with no blemishes.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Dennis,

Been there, done that. Had that happen to me on a car intro shoot in Germany and was rescued by a German photog who nursed the filter off. Basically, ya gotta twist, but carefully. Maybe tapping along the edge of the filter might help. The problem, as stated above, is getting a grip on the dang thing. Whatever you do, be gentle. And good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Usually the filter has outside threads and the camera has inside threads... so you want to enlarge the camera opening or shrink the filter ring to make for an easier slip of the threads over each other. Warm the camera slightly... leave it in the sun a few minutes or near a warm air register to raise its temperature just a wee bit... WATCH OUT FOR EXCESSIVE TEMPERATURES AND THERMAL SHOCK! Then cool the filter ring by sliding an ice cube around it a couple of times... again WATCH OUT FOR EXCESSIVE TEMPERATURES AND THERMAL SHOCK! You don't want to shatter a lens or melt a plastic part! You just want to change the sizes of the metal parts a wee bit to make it easier to move them.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I ended up doing:

As I mentioned above, the filter was persuaded to unscrew.

I started with the most simple idea and was prepared to escalate if needed.

Since I just did not have enough strength in my fingers alone to grip the lens body and twist off the thin filter, I GENTLY held the body with a pair of large pliers and then used one of those flat rubber "jar openers" to help me get a better purchase on the filter. Came off on the first try.

I'll keep all your suggestions in mind if this happens again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts