G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah, I was thinking that, but a used cheap lens would be worse than a wide angle cropped due to vignetting on the tilt shift adapter I believe.

It's not just the effect, but I want quality... the nice 24mm lens from Canon is $1800, the Rokinon is like you say, around $600, and but still I am not looking for a wide angle lens, I would like a 45mm or so...

yeah, I was thinking that, but a used cheap lens would be worse than a wide angle cropped due to vignetting on the tilt shift adapter I believe.

It's not just the effect, but I want quality... the nice 24mm lens from Canon is $1800, the Rokinon is like you say, around $600, and but still I am not looking for a wide angle lens, I would like a 45mm or so...

Way too expensive...

Greg
Way too expensive...

Greg
Greg if you look at the adapters and use a good quality older lens say 50mm
you will not be giving up quality at all. I have been in photography for over 50 years
and there are many high quality lenses with superior image quality to many of todays
lenses at bargain prices. If you select an earlier lens look at reviews it might surprise you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Greg if you look at the adapters and use a good quality older lens say 50mm
you will not be giving up quality at all. I have been in photography for over 50 years
and there are many high quality lenses with superior image quality to many of todays
lenses at bargain prices. If you select an earlier lens look at reviews it might surprise you.
You can even find 50mm lenses with macro capabilities. When looking at adapters pay
attention to what mounts adapt to you camera. A good example might be canon fd to sony
E great lenses only an older mount. My first 35mm reflex camera was a Swiss Alpa 9d
with a 50mm macro switar lens that lens alone still commands over $1500 today and it is as
old as I am. That is still my go to film camera and probably works better than me.
Don't think that newer is always better, as with many things newer just costs more.
Anyway just my opinion and a little food for thought
Bill

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
I am all ears Bill!

So I have a Sony A6000.... great deal for the older model. Stock lens 3.5-5.6 OSS... fine all around.

Time to buy more lenses, seems a surplus in the checking account.

I do a lot of close up shots for my site, normally outdoors to get nice diffuse light (in the shade).... I normally have to play a bit to pull out the detail like a side view of a loco, since the black plastic trucks will be not the right exposure compared to the normally lighter loco.

I bought some cheap "macro" adapter rings, but they are not really great, and I knew that.

I'd like to either get a fast 50mm lens like a 1.4 or so (I think). I'd really like to take pictures like in the first photo.

Any and all suggestions welcome and would really be helpful.

I normally photoshop pictures for contrast, dodge and burn, and do the "keystone" adjustments to try to get things "square", I just think it looks better.

I will use the features of the camera, often use a single small spot for metering and focus hold to compose.

Greg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Greg You will pay more than needed for a 1.4 lens since you will be stopping the lens down for more
depth of field. I would recommend getting a small photo reflector set to help control outdoor light cheap on e bay.
as for the dark trucks you can add more controlled light using inexpensive led lights, Harbor Freight has some
nice ones. If you decide to use more macro think about getting a little longer focal length around 90mm.
That way your camera will be farther away giving you more room to control lighting. If you want to try focus stacking
the are some free stacking software, CombineZP or Picolay come to mind but if you look it up there are more.
Since you will mostly be shooting level to the track I would recommend buying a focus rail, I prefer a 4way for the
added movement, about $30 on E bay. Mount the rail on a board and you won't need a tripod. A little more on
reflectors A simple white art board or even some tin foil taped on a board can do wonders. Shooting in direct sunlight
and using reflectors to fill shadows can also help to show more details. You should also try adjusting levels in PS
you can lighten or darken a whole image or just a selection, then control focus and contrast. With focus stacking
I would think you can use the lenses you have.
Bill

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
Yeah, the 1.4 lens wound be for non-train portrait, also shots that might need "more light" because I'm shooting faster.

A 90 mm sounds like an all around nice fixed lens, and I would guess that it would be way faster than my 16-50 i mentioned before.

wow, just looked up the 35mm 1.4 sony lens... $1,400, Think I'll stay with the 1.8 lenses ha ha!

I was thinking that this would be the lens to get, also assuming that I take most of my shots outside:

what do you think?

Thanks, greg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reviews look good, optical stabilization will give you more well focused hand held shots, and a reasonable price.
You will get some distortion at the widest settings, 18-20 but that is true with most wide angle lenses. I think you
will like the overall zoom range. Sounds like an early Christmas present to me.

The most fun I have had with a camera is with a Nikon p900, with an impressive optical zoom range of 28-2000
and even greater optically I have shot craters on the moon and filled the frame with hummingbirds 100ft away.
This camera goes with us whenever we travel. You can find a used one for around $500 something to think
about in the future. We are in the middle of moving from California to Tennessee, closing on a lakefront house.
When we get settled I will be building an outdoor g scale layout, but more about that later.
All 3 photos taken from the same spot with P900 thought you might enjoy these, will be using photos like this
for scratch building my layout.
Bill
Sky Water Water resources Plant Nature

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I was thinking that this would be the lens to get, also assuming that I take most of my shots outside:

what do you think?

Thanks, greg
This is an APS-C lens, so 18mm is roughly equivalent to 24mm for a 35mm sensor. Not sure what camera you plan to use it with, but it will show vignetting when wide angle if you use it with a 35mm sensor.

I saw a really cheap tilt adaptor on Amazon - I ordered it to have a play. I will report back but it is being shipped from China, so don't hold your breath.

Another inexpensive - and fun - option is Lensbaby.

Robert

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
Post #43 Sony A6000, interesting camera, somewhere between compact and full frame. I like it for being a bit smaller but having a very sensitive sensor, good in low light.

The OP has a Sony A6xxx camera also.

With my sensor, it is effectively 27 to 202mm... i read/watched a lot of reviews, and it is a good compromise lens, actually better than their larger and more expensive 18-105 (I don't shoot raw, so the camera removes barrel distortion) and I can live with vignetting at the wide angle... not buying it for that, but to be able to zoom and crop to the middle for closeup shots... my current lens, the standard kit lens is not a great lens by any means, and getting close enough usually has my body interfering with the lighting.

Just ordered, amazon same price as B&H. $550

Greg

41 - 49 of 49 Posts