G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently building a smooth-side dining car, and have gotten to the point where I need to figure out where exactly to put the bolsters. So, before I go out and buy the cheapest (price wise) streamline passenger trucks, what is everyones pro/con of Aristo's and USA's? Also, I have noticed they both have actual springs, so are they actually fully sprung or are they just for show?

And yes, once I finish the car I will post photos

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Well, we won't tell until you post some photos........

·
Super Modulator
21,214 Posts
I prefer the construction and the quality of the wheels on the USAT. I don't own any Aristo streamliners, in either the shortie fluted ones, or the longer smoothsides, but I sure have worked on their trucks.

I regauge all wheels to meet my standards, which, surprisingly coincide with the wheel gauge sold by Aristo.

Unfortunately, Aristo rolling stock does not meet the standards of the gauge they sell, which means I have to re-gauge the Aristo wheels. (The USAT are also typically off also).

BUT, the reason for all of this windup is the wheelsets and the trucks are much higher quality on the USAT in my experience. I recently regauged the wheelsets of a friend's smoothsides, and it was a nightmare, most of the plastic insulators between the wheel and the axle had shrunk and were loose. The finish on the wheelsets treads was also of poorer quality. Lastly, parts availability of the USAT trucks is much greater, since the Aristo smoothsides are out of production, and lately, Aristo parts have been very scarce.

So, if I was building something I would want to put quality in to match the man-hours invested, and I would want to be sure that I could buy spare parts.

Go with the USAT.

Regards, Greg

p.s. they are both sprung.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
OH Greg

I agree, USAT trucks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Greg and Marty!

I was leaning towards the USA ones mainly cause they looked better quality than the Aristos. And yes Marty, there will be photos once there is actual progress.

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
I like using the USAT trucks as thy seem to have a bit more detail. I have replaced all my Aristo trucks on the smooth side passenger cars with the USAT which also help lower the Aristo cars. Later RJD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts