G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I found this in Henry Greenly's book "Electric Locomtotives and Railways", (I have the 1927 edition). For some reason I would like to build this -however I am unable to identify the locomotive in the drawing!!! It does not match any of the "crocs" that I have pictures for, and it definately does not look remotely american.

I am completely mystified.

Anybody any ideas or suggestions?

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I think that must be a "buffalo," 'cause it has you buffaloed:D

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Ralph - it looks to me like a drawing of a model rather than any real locomotive - certainly it has many bits missing from it - but mainly it has no pantagraphs, the usual method of current collection.  I'll have a lool around for you, but my advice is to build it as is, and make up the rest as you go along in your own inimitable fashion!:D

West bishes

tac
www.ovgrs.org 

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Ralph,

That sure looks like a Crocodile.  I couldn't find any 8 drivered crocodiles, but perhaps the #3 driver is not actually a driver at all, but the idler that the other three connected to on a typical 6/8 Crocodile??  Can't tell, but the dashed lines seem to indicate that something is not normal about that part.  

The Main motor is interesting.  I guess I never paid much attention, and assumed that the crocodiles used two motors.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
I'd have to agree with Tac, at least so far as the drawing is concerned. The measurements are in mm, which tells me those are drawn for an actual model. The central motor, I'd assume, would be a miniature motor, as that's otherwise a BEAST of an electric motor (close to 6' diameter?) As for the prototype, I'm as clueless as anyone else. I may be tempted to think along the lines of one of the GN's electric locos or something like that, if it were American. I don't recall any of the GN's locos using siderods, though.

Later,

K

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I am quite happy with the drawing as a one of a model!!! However it is quite unlike Henry Greenly to produce a flight of fancy. Throughout all of his books I have been able to trace the original for the model drawing. But this one.... I will build it Terry -with my own touches as you so "kindly" put it, (so -how hard is it to type with your tongue in your cheek???) The same chapter in the book also lists design ideas for a Milwaukee Road "Bi Polar". To my mind it has several things going for it. It is ugly, It has the charm of a slug, but mostly that I can just see the expression on peoples faces as they see it land on their tracks in a "run what you brung" session!!!

regards

ralph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts