G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought this over from the 'threading brass rod' thread.

I finished my bridge. I used the bronze rod that Russell suggested. Using a drill really saved a lot of time. I even threaded some extra so I'd have some all-thread latter. I kept a steady stream of cutting oil going while threading the rod. The brass fittings will darken with age. The dark finish I put on the wood will weather out to a light brown. It is roof patch thinned with paint thinner. I got brave and stood on it so I know it will hold at least 170 lbs. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif" border=0>

I used plans from the book "Model Railroad Bridges & Buildings".

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
That's a really fine bridge. The color too is terrific! I didn't follow the other string so I'm glad you posted here or I might have missed it.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
That is indeed a sweet bridge, but the name evokes images of some real sweat pouring off those cross beams where the truss connects :D

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Quite brave standing on bridge that nice, you could have ended up with some very nice toothpicks :) Nice tip on the roof patch. Grand looking bridge!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Very fine bridge indeed. And I like the way you have spiked the rails to the actual cross ties, and not just laid plastic ties on top -- much nicer your way.

ps: oh yeah, any plans for lighter weight guard rails on the inside? :D

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I will probably put guard rails in latter on this fall. The wooden ones are only fastened temporarily until I get the fasteners I want for them. I will take the bridge out temporarily while I work on the abutments. I thought about putting flex track on the bridge but it just didn't look right. Every tenth tie is a hardwood with stainless steel spikes. I have found that combination to work very good.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Well done. How about a follow-up in a year or so after the stain fades and the brass darkens. I would be interested in seeing the end result of your techniques.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts