·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Special Shapes is a great outfit. I order from them a lot. Never a problem

Bob

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
McMaster-Carr has 3' rods. How critical are your dimensions? A lot of their stuff uses common measurements, like 1/16 and 3/32, but they have some other rods in metric sizes that might be close.

What are you trying to build?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
WS Logger,

Try your local welding supply store they will have 3' brass rod for brazing.
Usually in standard diameters like 062, 078 etc. Maybe they could work for you.
Especially considering that they sell it for like 3 bucks a pound instead of 3 bucks a rod
plus shipping.
Later
Rick Marty

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who replied. I have bought from Special Shapes before but they have discontinued the sizes I need. I am going to use the wire for truss rods, handrails and piping on scratch built and bashed 1:20.3 equipment. I think I will try my local welding supply.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you have a Hobbytown near you *most* carry the K&S displays and have the 3' brass rods in them.

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
I know the latest PNG kits are using welding rod for the truss rods and they work very well. I think you can get by with shorter lengths for grab irons and such. I've been using 1 mm brass rod for grabs.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
A guy I know makes his own .055 by getting a spool of 1/16" soft brass wire and straightening it (and work-hardening it). He connects one end to a pole and the other end to the bumper of his car. He lets the car roll gently away from the post until the wire goes "twang", at which point it is (1) very straight, (2) very hard and (3) somewhat less than .0625" (closer to .055"). You can buy .0625" (16 gauge) brass wire at almost any craft supplier.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Red Green taught me everything I knows about duck tape... Even my wife keeps a roll in her car.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
True story, Burl. I learned this from a Georgia modeler (and aerospace engineer) who will go unnamed. Weird, and crude, but it sure works!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts