G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished a cart to haul my few cars and engines out to the layout.

My wife is an elementry school teacher and her school was tossing out these rickety carts that they had (original design guaranteed they fell apart at some point). I saved a few from the dumpster and with the help of some all thread rod corrected the disintegration factor. Some 3/8ths plywood cut to size made the shelves and I managed to cut 3 sets of grooves in each for the wheels to sit in. Cutting the plywood grooves on my cheapie table saw was a learning experience but someone more knowledgable than myself showed me the trick with painters tape to keep the cuts from looking like I did them with a chain saw.

Some thin masonite for sides and many coats of paint later it came out okay. I need to replace the cheap plastic wheels with something that rolls better but so far I've not had any luck finding 3/8ths treaded post (fine thread) wheels at the local Osh and big box stores.

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Very nice!

I'd recommend much larger wheels... MUCH larger... the bigger they are the easier they are to roll over minor bumps and that means less wracking stress on the cart as it is being pushed.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
think off-road cart wheels!

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C.T., Nick,

Yes, big wheels are what I'm looking for. I'd put tires on it if I could find some that would work. I found 3/8ths thread post wheels at OSH but only course thread which won't work.

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stan,

Thanks! The cart in the pic is freshly painted and newly populated with the few cars and such I have. Don't expect it to stay that way ! Has yet to make its first trip through the garage and out to the layout. Really need to find some new wheels first. I really appreciate your comment, thanks!

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Try Home Depot or lowels or even a Tractor Supply store. BTW nice looking carts even a little Christmas looking Later RJD

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve,

Thanks but that link is returning "The product you are trying to view is not currently available."

Bob,

I'll check out Harbor Freight. Thanks,

TJ

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
TJ, If you are looking for caster wheels you could try something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=235574-255-4032599NN&lpage=none

They screw on through a mounting plate, that way you don't need to match the treaded hole left by the old wheels. You should be able to find fixed wheels to match so that only one end will steer. That should make wheeling the cart easier.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
TJ,

Have you considered a pair of child's bike front tires? They're about 12" dia, and the axle hole should be easy to match up reasonably well. The spokes from the rear wheels make great round stock, if you're into scratchbuilding.

Les

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Greg,

I wouldn't make fun of your Casey Jr. I'd like to find one myself. I have twins Grandchildren just over 2 years old. They like to watch the trains for about 5 minutes now. I'm hoping to peak their interest as they get older and a fun train like Casey Jr. could do the trick.

If anyone knows of a source for Casey Jr in G scale, please chime in.

Regards,

·
Super Modulator
21,053 Posts
Got mine online from Disney store. Regular price was $199, but was on sale for $50. I think it is made by accucraft or another well known maker, surprisingly... it is plastic, not fancy construction, but just like the one in Disneyland.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Greg just could not put my finger on it but now I see why your kind of goofy.
Dizzy trains . Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
And now we have a theory for Greg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts