G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

can anybody tell me how chicken were transported by railroad? Were they transported in cages inside a stockcar or did the railroads use special stockcars for the chicken? If yes, how did they look like?
Thank you for any information and maybe pictures!

Greetings from germany!

Jurgen

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Thanks Burl, you beat me to it.  Burl's area of TN was known for chicken farms back in the day.

I would love to know two things:

1. What was all the data on the side of the car covered by the door in the first pic, you can see it in the second photo.  I am betting it is chicken, not railroad related?

2. What is the story on the raised running board?  Also notice the mounts for it are solid over the center, and open on the ends.

I bet this thing smelled great in August....

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
So there really was a prototype for Lionel's version.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello everybody,

I have a used LGB Stock Car. I will cut out several of the boards to have a better look through the car.
Then I will glue some insect-nets inside the car to simulate cagewire. I will add hens from Playmobil
and use some real feathers (cut in little pieces) to simulate feathers.

Thank you for the pics and the input!

Greetings!

Jurgen

·
Registered
691 Posts
Garrett:

If memory serves, from the plans I've seen of similar cars, there's a walkway down the middle. Maybe the roofwalk is raised to allow for a vent here?

I've never seen a good enough photo to know what all the data on the door is... maybe it's the dimensional data for the chickens?

Burl

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
I'm reading a book right now on the Lancaster, Oxford & Southern, which carried a ton (tons, actually) of poultry every year. They used either regular box cars or "market cars," which were box cars with end doors and windows. I haven't read yet how the birds were carried, but I've seen photos of birds in cages being loaded onto trains in other photos.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Many years ago, Ambroid offered an HO model of a "Poultry Palace"  as a part of their "1 of 5000" series.  I built one, but Lord knows where it is now.  Wish I still had the plans so I could build a large scale version.  Anybody out there have a picture or plans of that?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Baby chicks are still transported this way, went past a crate of them late one nite at a post office in Alabama 12+ years back, nearly freaked me out.

EDIT, was to be a reply to the comment about them being in cages above.....:confused::confused:/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Posted By digger on 01/15/2008 5:42 AM
Many years ago, Ambroid offered an HO model of a "Poultry Palace"  as a part of their "1 of 5000" series.  I built one, but Lord knows where it is now.  Wish I still had the plans so I could build a large scale version.  Anybody out there have a picture or plans of that?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

I also built the Amroid "Poultry Palace. complete with "cotton" chickens" I still have the model packed away...in the next few days I'll dig it out and see what shape it's in and post some pictures...I may even have the plans...

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Dean, that would be great!  :)  This is just the kind of oddball project I'd like to get into.  The pix that Burl posted were intriguing, but I have some vague memories that the Ambroid car was a bit different.  There were some really unique cars in that Ambroid series, none of the likes of which I have ever seen done in large scale,  Maybe you remember things like the Pennsylvania Outside Braced Reefer, the Riverside Oil Tank Car with the corrugated iron sheathing, etc.  Getting a bit OT, but this post got me thinking.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

Of course, if I were to build one of these, I'd have to figure out how to model scale chicken feathers to scatter along the right of way.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I haven't found the plans for the Ambroid "1 of 5000" series "Poultry Car" but I'll keep looking in the mean time Here are some pictures of the car complete with 'cotton' chickens....
Introduced in April, 1961, this is a model of a 1928 car. This car is one of the most unusual kits in the "5000" series. Half of the car was meant for poultry and half for refrigerated meet and dairy products. The color scheme was white body, green ends, roof and doors, and black underframe. About 600 Palace poultry cars were built. This particular model was designed for communities which did not have a full carload of poultry to ship.

To take the pictures I placed the model in front of a Bachmann stock car...HO stuff sure is small..:)

The model has been in storage for over 25 years...notice the 1:1 dust I missed on the ladder....:)

The chickens are made with a piece of cotton pinched at one end to represent the head....I added some red paint on the "head" to represent the comb...

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Thanks, Dean!:D  Great pix, and certainly enough to get me going.  I've archived your shots to print them out for reference as I go to work.  This should be fun, and a potential showstopper!  It won't be an exact copy (since this car was standard gauge) but will evoke the "flavor", if not the "aroma"./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Posted By digger on 01/15/2008 5:42 AM
===============================================================================

Ed,

I may have the plans but I'm in the process of moving from Dallas to Southern California so they are buried for a while/ Send me your email address offline and I will check when I have unpacked around February first.

Ambroid made two Poultry cars: The one that has been mentioned here: Speedy Poultry and Reefer Combination Car which was in the first 1-of-5,000 series and issued in April 1961. It was followed by the Livesay Poultry Car, which came out in 1966. This was part of the original series of cars (that I call the K-series). This looks like it could be a model of the prototype car Burl showed.

If you are interested in the Ambroid cars, take a look at my website, I have them all described with pictures and text (well, the text is kind of short in some places ;) ) www.trainweb.org/ambroidkits . I also have a few of the plans but far from all.

Per

Hmm, this is my first post and I managed to get it all inside the quote. Not bad :D

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Thanks, Per,

I sent you an email.  Your website brought back a lot memories.:D Very interesting !

K - I've started collecting dryer lint....  Let me know if you need some./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

Ed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts