G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there nobody doing anythign out there? Lately there has been very little posts. Does Chris Scott run out of things to rag about on here? ;)

I think we all can use something to read about in our little world....

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Jason,
I've been doing stuff, but it hasn't had anything to do with trains because my wife has been keeping me busy with projects she dreams up on a daily basis. She did promise me I could run trains all day on my birthday, but it is supposed to rain. I get out to the shop once in a while, but just have time to piddle around with no serious project in sight since finishing a caboose model and the installation of a Bark Box in my K-27. Perhaps someone else is doing stuff out there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am slowly progressing on my 7/8n2 Millie project and am drawing plans for some cars to build. I cut the driver's seat for Millie last night and soldered on the retaining bars. Next up is contouring the seat and adding a brass back rail.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Jay
You missed the opportunity to post/photo all the progress by Justin along with his innovative steam valves and 3 nozzle exhaust on the coal fired K27 (clean and shiny!). Seems a lost opportunity to truly stir the pot given the PLS action this past weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Charles - I was bust chasing my finikey Aster B1!!!! Actually ran quite slow with the pair of Comely coaches in tow. If it wasnt for the near hit with a pair of C16's it would of ran longer. I took just a few photos and havent even taken the camera out yet to unload them. I spent most of my time there helping Paul on the 1" after Ryan had left him he needed a set of hands to get the hand pump out.....

Tom - Some of us actuallly have work.....for once I have to work for 2 weeks straight! Although next week I have Tues and Fri off....And I want to leave my job?? What am I thinking...

Carl Happy Birthday

·
Registered
112 Posts
Building further at a glacial pace at my steam-electric. But as the interest in building is minimal here I seldom bother to come these days.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm busy converting an Aristocraft Mike chassis to a 1:20 scale narrow gauge 2-8-2. It turns out that the chassis is pretty spot on for some of the Baldwin export locomotives that went to various 3 foot gauge operations in South America. The drivers end up being about 40" diameter in 1:20 which is close enough for my purposes.
Mike McCormack
Hudson, Massachusetts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Jay, and anyone else:

I would have posted my articles on radiant burners for accucraft engines, but as it stands, you'll have to wait another week. Oh the joys of college and finals!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I'm working on two internal combustion/electric locomotives. One is a twin-engine and the other one will have an on-board starter so it can be started from a switch on the transmitter. Both will have alternators instead of generators, electronic switches for direction control instead of mechanical switches, and more powerful trucks. The twin will be able to run on one or both engines.
I'm working out everything on the test stand now - gear ratios, fan systems, testing new electronics. Next step is to mock-up the frames.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Jason, I agree with you. Ever since the server crash, things have been very quiet. Not that I want to go back to some of last year's tirades, though. Remember the "shade of green paint" thread?
Now that winter is gone here in Vt (we did have snow flurries this morning) I have installed the second running track and a passing siding on the elevated steam track started last year. The new support structure settled a bit in spots during its first winter, and I'm working to level it now; the adjustable EMT legs make that easy. Then, the track gets ballasted with crushed quartz filtration media from the pet store, with mulch and moss landscaping along the edges of the pans.
Llyn Rice and I have steamed at each other's tracks over the last couple of weeks, and he and Don Howard were here last week for a warm afternoon of running. Another friend, Don Buesing, will be over soon to fire his new C-19 for the first time. Don is a founding member of the Adirondack Live Steamers, but this is his first venture into G1 live steam.
Now, for when my AC 4-4-0 finally shows up after three years of waiting (I'm being nice now-no rant), There are three modified and relettered J&S coaches for it to pull. A matching combine is currently being constructed from a fourth coach; this will be of a different style from what AC is showing for theirs.
OK, now who is next for something for the pot----

Larry

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Larry, Jason,
I also noticed that the site got quieter after the crash. While at the ECLSTS, I talked to a few people who said they had lost their link to the forums part of the site when it crashed and have been trying to access it the old way via those links. They did not know to go back to mylargescale.com and make a new link to whatever forum they wanted. Three people I talked to assumed the site had died for good. I wonder if there are more out there.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
After seeing Dwight's purchase I thought I would treat myself to a small lathe for some smaller jobs so bought a Cowells ME90 probably you guys in the States may have not heard of them. They are hand made and assembled at there factory here in the UK. http://www.cowells.com/index.htm I have an old Emco Unimat as well which I am going to retire.

Tony

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I've been busy in the shop. Just today finished the smokebox of my Climax model with the addition of dummy exhaust pipes:

This photo is from my folder on flickr.
Here is a view from the front before the exhaust pipes were done:

Regards
Ed

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow Ed you work fast. wasnt it just a few months ago whan you started the Climax??

She really looks great, hope to see it someday.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Jason,

I started cutting the wheels back in mid-March 2007. So it has been more than a year. Today I started work on a carrier/transport case so I'll be able to bring it to steamups even before it is done.

Ed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts