G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Bob,

I've never seen one used for locomotive purposes, but my retired uncle has been tinkering with them. He built a couple, and I think one actually works!! However, lately, he has been building steam engines (not locomotives) that run on compressed air. Pretty cool stuff.

Mark

·
Registered
112 Posts
At the club someone made a 2 cylinder stirling-engine-locomotive. It's called "ugly" for a reason... But a good runner like everything he makes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There have been several Stirling type locomotives written up in the UK.

This one is Gauge 1:

[url]http://4627275301896984612-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/tuppencetestsite/Home/Two%20cylinder%20Stirling.jpg?attredirects=0[/url][/imh]

and this one is Gauge 0 and subject of an article in the magazine illustrated (copyright Magicalia, reproduced without permission under the Fair Use/ Fair Dealing terms of the copyright laws as a Review)

[img]http://4627275301896984612-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/tuppencetestsite/Home/Judy.jpg?attredirects=0

David
England

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Cute! I wonder if anyone ever tried to make a sterling-powered loco in revenue service?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for trying to help me out with my wonky URL.

But I notice that while the image appeared OK in my email Inbox, on the website it's just printed out the URL with a duff picture icon.

Is this a plot to get me to Upgrade Mr Moderator? I'm learning here (as you can tell).

David

·
Registered
966 Posts
In "Model Engineer" some 20 or so years ago there was a series about a stirling - powered locomotive. The one shown in the picture above looks very much like this contraption.
Regards

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Used to go to the steam thresheree in Freeport IL. The main attraction was dozens of steam tractors, a shay loco and some big engines, but there was always a guy with a booth full of sterling engines he had made of cans and such clanking along. Always thought I'd try and make one of those.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Hi Bob:
Sorry for this late reply, but I couldn't find the magazine. Check out the November/December 2006 (Number 90) of Steam In The Garden. On page 19 Andy Ross describes his building of a Class A Climax using a Sterling Engine as the power plant. Very interesting and it WORKS!
Noel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts