G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have considered saving up a little money over the next 2 months and getting myself a used G gauge GP-20 or something of that sort. I would just love to have a diesel counterpart to my O gauge GP-38

For a Lionel G gauge or USA trains G gauge diesel, does anyone know what the minimum curve rating is for these things? Can't see info online.

I only have an Oval layout with 4' circle being used. It is what came with my starter LGB.

·
Super Modulator
22,134 Posts
Don't buy the Lionel, period. The minimum radius is posted on the USAT site for all their locos.

This is a typical question... strive to make your track with bigger curves... starting out trying to squeeze in the smallest space is not good... Try for at least 8 foot minimum diameter, 10 much better.

Greg

·
Registered
63 Posts
I found a whole LGB starter set from the 70s or 80s for six bucks. All I have is the normal stainz locomotive and sometimes it seems like it doesn’t even like R1 track. Go big or go home if you can afford it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My LGB stainz will run on the 4 foot diameter track all day long. I even have the LGB motor block running on a 29 inch diameter circle of track under the Xmas tree for hours pulling 5 cars with no issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My LGB stainz will run on the 4 foot diameter track all day long. I even have the LGB motor block running on a 29 inch diameter circle of track under the Xmas tree for hours pulling 5 cars with no issues.
I was just exaggerating. It has no problem either. Although It is one of the old black stainz locomotives. The cab isn’t green like everyone one else’s.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
All of LGB's stuff will run on their min radius R1 curves. Now some of the larger models look quite silly doing so, but they will do it. Common G scale rule is use the largest radius curves you can manage in your given space. 6 axles need at least 10 foot diameter with 15 or 20 being much better(especially with Dash 9 GE's). LGB's system was designed around the "meter" gauge trains of Austria and Germany, which are quite small in real life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
While the LGB Genesis will run on a 4 foot diameter circle, the rear coupler is outside the outer rail and will derail the first car behind it!! But the statement that the engine will run on 4 foot is correct, they do not mention the coupler overhang!!
I even ran the Aristo 3 axle SD-45 on my 4 foot (LGB R1). I made a tow bar to allow pulling cars.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I think the only way the genesis will do R1 is if it has one of thier Amfeet coaches behind it and your using LGB knuckle couplers which have a swivel head on them. But then again, that long diesel looks silly on R1. I got away from R1 on my railway fairly quickly. Only the circle under the xmas tree uses that tight curve, and just a Stainz runs on that

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tight curves may look funny, but one has to see the Diesels arriving at the end of the line at the Boston, MA South Station terminal. You can not stand in between the passenger cars as you will become 2 separate 1/2 bodies!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts