G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, but I have been wanting to try it.
Donny did his a better way but I used what I had left over in stoock Trex and bought smaller pipe in which I will fill with runny mortar mix to make them stiffer.
This is the new scenic branch line heading to the old Highline on the north end of the RR.
I wanted a clear view of the sky for photos and a place where steamers would love videoing trains on the move. "operating" up the grade.
I used a 3/4" board taped on the end of my 4ft level so I think its a 1.5% ?? not sure.

And yes I am still tring to get the RR ready for Sept but I lost interest in that.

Switch is just south of the grain elevator. 20ft min dia and will not be running,,,well,,maybe,, by Sept. who knows.
But this labor day weekend I wanted a fun project.
All rocks will be concreted in as a stone face cliff like, hopfully.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goes to ,,heaven.
My camera shutter did not open all the way?????? need to clean it.

Has anyone tried using GMM gurders on 20' dia curves????
12" or 24" not sure how it would work?

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Marty,
Lookin' Good !

I will bring my digital %-grade level with me for the meet. It will be able to check spot grades all around the line.

JimC.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 08/29/2008 7:04 PM
Goes to ,,heaven.
My camera shutter did not open all the way?????? need to clean it.
Has anyone tried using GMM gurders on 20' dia curves????
12" or 24" not sure how it would work?

Steve uses them on his layout for a big curve. I'm not sure of the diameter but I would guess around 16'.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Marty
Do you have a spot picked out for me to build you a concrete wall, something like where you have the ladder system going around the mound of dirt, or any area that you have that may even be a little steeper. If I recall on one of your post you said you have sand, is that correct? I will need 6 bags of portland. I will bring rebar and the builders lath mesh and the fasteners to fasten it together. I have my own cement mixer, but I will need your wheel barrel, As a builder i am sure you have a extension cord for my mixer 1/3 hp. I need to keep the mixer to where I can get a water hose for wash up. I will bring 100 foot of hose.
I will bring two four foot x 16 inch retainer wall section. We need a place where we can add these it does not have to be straight, in fact a jog at the joint works best, when finish with this you can add 18-20 inches of dirt behind the wall. I will be adding to the top of the wall so it will look like canyon wall. Let me know if you have any questions.
I will be there to get started on Friday
Dennis

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don
3/4" or 1 1/8" OS ,$2.19 a stick.
Brain,
I think Steve is his own best customer. And after seeing his N scale layout I'm suprised he even does G.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Marty, I like the ladder system too. Sure makes it easier to get nice curves. I used 2x2 treated posts to support mine and for some reason part of them are rotting out. So I am going to remove the ballast and pour concrete between and on both sides of the ladder.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats funny , I was just going to write I don't like this method because filling around it takes to much time. If I had done all the dirt work prep first , I would have been laying track by now.
This is a TEST for me.
I still like concrete roadbed better thats why I added cement around it for support.

I'm really toying with the idea of a curved wood tresel where the bucket is Photo ops heaven.

I can just picture a BigBoy in evening light heading up this grade with a passenger train behind it.

rebar and old steel chain link fence rail to support the mesh to tie the rocks together.

I also found yellow jackets nest, that wasn't fun.

Tall pines will top this mountain to tie in with the other mountain. Need to trans plant some trees.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just FYI for new folks. The main plan was to see if the line would work in this area and how will it affect the RR as for running and maintance.
Once I start building a line is when the "planning" stage starts. Where to place bridges, colverts, sidings etc.
How to creat scenes along the right of way.
You don't need to plan your whole RR to get started, you just need to know where you can run track and how large of curves can it handle.
The rest is growing the GRR.

·
Vendor
3,323 Posts
Thought you said it wouldn't be done for the "Thingy". Looks like we'll be able to run and photograph trains by then the way you're going.

But, you never did let any grass grow under yer feet.... :)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif:D:):):)

Sure looks good, Marty............

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Ok I did something like a ladder roadbed. I took two 1/8 x 2inch x 10 ft flat steel and bent it in my bending macnine to match a 20 ft curve. I then drilled 1/4 inch holes in it every 16 inches. I then cut 1/4 20 all thread 4 inches long. I put plactic pipe as spacers and bolted the two together with the pipe as spacers. Total width is 3.5 inchs. I then attacked re bar horizontally to the plastic pipe. I then poured concrete in the middle. Once it dried I took off the nuts on the all thread and removed the steel. Now I have a concrete curved roadbed. I can reuse the metal on another curve. I can even rebend it to fit a different degree of curve.

This is a poor image but you might see what I am talking about

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Marty,
You could make faux trestle or viaduct on the ladder.

JimC.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the bridge will be a winter project, maybe . I have it layed out on sheeting and will build it upside down. I plan to hand spike the rail with gaurd rail.

Max is always close by.
Our old rider mover had the blade area taken off so now its my train tractor. may paint it company colors this winter.That sounds dumb...
The grand kids was over most of the day so I did not get much done but for planting a few trees. and removing one.
Theres one that is sickly and I have found when transplanted many times they snap out of it.

G

·
Marty,
Looks great! If you camo the mower the kids will not see it!:rolleyes:
Also I like the other photos as well, gives a person something to chew on.
Toad

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last night I watered the fill dirt in good.
Today I figured what the hay, lay the track. thats the funnest part of all.
So I installed a the switch I made for this spot and exspantion joint, then some of the new AMS USA track.
Of course I hate shiny new rail so I painted it then ballasted it.
I had to leave a couple of times because Max thought it was fun to try and catch yellow jacklets.
But after he got stung a couple of times he stopped.

I'm back to #2 cherry chicken grit because it of all things has help up best over the years.

The grade does not look so bad after all the fill was in.
I have some gribbing to build in a number of spots here.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Looking good Marty! 1.5 % grade isn't bad. Just like going though the Wasatch mountains UP has a 1.8 % grade.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts