G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very sorry to announce that Steve Shyvers passed away recently. Here is the obit which is being submitted to the major small-scale live steam publications:

Glasses Beard Cap Vision care Eyewear

We lost a true friend and small-scale live steam devotee when Steve passed on November 7, 2021. Steve was always on the quest for more knowledge and constantly amazed those around him with his depth of subject matter and willingness to experiment to find answers to complex questions. If you had a question he was the go-to guy. As with most of us in this hobby, Steve was a tinkerer, fine-tuning his engines to improve their running characteristics. He scratchbuilt much of his rolling stock and converted one each of two Roundhouse Billys to alcohol and coal. Unbeknownst to many, Steve was also a 10Ghz microwave radio aficionado and built his own units. He loved the outings the radio club provided which most times were atop local mountains of the SF Bay Area. But most of all Steve was a cherished and devoted friend to many of us in the live steam community and was kiddingly dubbed “The Gnome” by the Bay Area Live Steamers group because of his small physical stature and long beard. You could always count on him to provide humble, knowledgeable opinions or prophetic and wry humor whenever he was brought into a conversation. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm sorry to hear the news, over the course of 3 or 4 years Steve and I exchanged many, manyemails (he wrote beautifully) and he enjoyed British outline rolling stock. I was collecting bits and pieces for him to scratch build some Midland 6-wheeler coaches, horsebox and carriage truck, but I guess he won't need them where he is now. What a lovely, thoughtful, erudite man he appears to have been, I wish we had met face to face as I think we would have had much to talk about.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thanks for posting this Rob
As you mentioned Steve was a prince of a guy. I learned much from him in my 10+ years in the hobby and enjoyed his approach to analyzing and researching fixes to defective engines. I can still see him pouring a measured amount of water in a tender every time the train went buy determine the axle pump output or taking copious notes during a mechanical discussion.
He will be missed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very sorry to announce that Steve Shyvers passed away recently. Here is the obit which is being submitted to the major small-scale live steam publications:

View attachment 62535

We lost a true friend and small-scale live steam devotee when Steve passed on November 7, 2021. Steve was always on the quest for more knowledge and constantly amazed those around him with his depth of subject matter and willingness to experiment to find answers to complex questions. If you had a question he was the go-to guy. As with most of us in this hobby, Steve was a tinkerer, fine-tuning his engines to improve their running characteristics. He scratchbuilt much of his rolling stock and converted one each of two Roundhouse Billys to alcohol and coal. Unbeknownst to many, Steve was also a 10Ghz microwave radio aficionado and built his own units. He loved the outings the radio club provided which most times were atop local mountains of the SF Bay Area. But most of all Steve was a cherished and devoted friend to many of us in the live steam community and was kiddingly dubbed “The Gnome” by the Bay Area Live Steamers group because of his small physical stature and long beard. You could always count on him to provide humble, knowledgeable opinions or prophetic and wry humor whenever he was brought into a conversation. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very sad to hear the news of Steve's passing. Meet Steve on my first trip to Stavers and the first time I had run a LS locomotive. He answered all my dumb questions gracefully and loaned me everything I had forgotten to bring. Will miss talking with him. Richard

·
Registered
44 Posts
As Rob said Steve was a great guy and I considered him a friend. He always had something interesting to say. Very friendly and supportive of other modelers and he was highly respected in our BAGRS Live Steam group. He will be truly missed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts