G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it took me a while but let me go ahead and do a short write up of our sucessful steamup at "The Worlds Greatest on Tour" (http://www.wghshow.com) It was quite a steep building curve, getting the track built in the time between Cabin Fever Expo and this show. Dan and I had schemed for hours together before buying the first piece of wood or hardware. But we got the loop done the day before setup opened, and I had assembled it twice inside my garage (1/4 of it at a time only!) We actually laid the track Friday PM and were ready to roll for the morning.

The doors open and we got engines running, 32mm and 45mm. Yes, they BURN butane, alcohol and coal, Yes, they boil the water, Yes, they can burn your fingertip, NO, they are not dangerous...

The questions did not stop and Dan's voice was shot BEFORE the doors opened.

I told one boy we were connecting two locomotives to run together, he must have been at most, 8 years old. He shouted to his Dad "They're gonna double-head 'em!" So never talk down to anybody, you never know what their skill set might be. I actually wound up talking to two full scale engineers.

The crowd thickens, Ken Johnson of the Train Department extoles the virtue of live steam, Dan prepares for topping off his Accucraft Mortimer.

The kids loved it when we opened the smokebox door and they could actually see the fire. For some folks it took seeing the flame before it all added up to what the heck was going on. Some people seemed to think we were using a propellant or a type of compressed gas. Maybe we need a sign to answer some of the most basic question, but I really got a kick out of talking to all these folks.

Even the show manager, Randy Bachmann, got into the spirit by firing up his Roundhouse Sammy.

If you want to help grow this hobby, it seems as if the traditionally sparkie oriented shows are becoming more receptive to live steam participation. It's up to us to help spread the word. I'd go to more shows but my wife would probably change the locks while I was away.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Great Job Dave!
Like so many of us do you have brought live steam to the masses. Ken Johnson is a wonderful steam proponent and the rest of your entourage presented our scale and interest to the attendees in exemplary fashion.
Have fun,
Tom

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom, without your post last month about the Greenberg show in Rochester, we might have never had the idea or chance. Thanks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Dave,

The layout turned out looking real good!  Any design flaws show up with assembly and disassembly?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Dave
Excellent show, lots of work.  Did you also make the safety stand with Xmas stand base?  Time, money and efforts well worth the many opportunities to promote a hobby. Thanks

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted By David Rose on 02/27/2008 7:03 AM
Great job Dan & Dave!! What radius / diameter is the curves on this layout?

Dave, we used Aster track that was donated by Wayne Colleran. It's 6 meter diameter, it is also code 200, so most things ran OK, but there were a coulple of flange issues (Pearse Colorado, LGB disconnects, Bachmann large diameter wheel sets (small diameter worked OK).)

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted By Shay Gear Head on 02/27/2008 5:19 AM
Dave,

The layout turned out looking real good!  Any design flaws show up with assembly and disassembly?

Bruce no real issues. We thought we would be able to get away with 1/2 ply but no dice. Wound up using 5/8. We also put a stringer (?) under each piece as even the 5/8 had a tendancy to cup somewhat. 
The Nevada Short Line Mogul in pic 1 and 3 is the one I got from you. Runs great!

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
One of the best parts of our hobby is introducing civilians, especially long time sparkies, to Live Steam, at train shows.  One of them even asked us, quite seriously, "OK, Where are you guys hiding the transformer?"

In fact, we are scheduled for a train swap meet this Sunday.  I'll try to post some pictures.

Here are a few pictures from past shows...

At one show we even had a cheerleader, who brought along her little brother...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts