G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the Hals 15th anniversary steamup at Zube park, Dave Hottman, Tom Burns and George Frank came over to my house Sunday for some more steaming. It was a little cold and windy but the sun was out and warmed things up a bit. Here are some pics:

·
Registered
49 Posts
John,

Thanks again for another physically exhaustive operating session.

For me, the highlight was to observe Dave Hottman’s impressive K-27 performance. Unfortunately at events that utilize near perfect elevated tracks, it is not possible to observe the true mechanical potential of locomotives run. Observing an engine perform on the ground under high loads with real track conditions is a totally different story

Dave’s modifications to this engine are too exhaustive for me to remember. What really impressed me is that Dave was able to reliably pull very long consists at slow speed with no throttle adjustments over the minor grades. Although we have on occasion previously pulled similar length trains, we were always limited by operational reliability associated with the couplers remaining connected.

Dave’s K-27 was so smooth, I did not observe a single case where a coupler unconnected by progressively uncoupling through vertical separation under high load. I thought this was an upper load limitation of the standard unmodified Accucraft couplers and did not realize that this condition was being caused by less than perfect running locomotives.

Had the weather conditions been more favorable, I really would have liked to have seen everything pulled out of the barn to determine the new upper load limit being pulled by the extreme Hottman K-27. I would not have been surprised if Dave could have actually pulled 30 standard Accucraft freight cars in a garden environment. I believe you actually own enough equipment that we probably would have found a true operational limit.

On the other hand, when Dave completes his modifications on his cab forward, I don’t think any garden railroad exists in the south with enough 1:32 rolling stock and track to determine the true operational potential of this engine. Anybody out there have 150-200 1:32 cars, +1000’ of super wide radius mainline track with 1-2 percent grades?

Tom Burns

·
Registered
233 Posts
It sure looks like you gents had another great time on Sunday. Thanks for the picutres and narration.

John, the engines always look better on your track.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tom and Dave. I enjoy having everyone over whenever I can. Sunday was a chance to see Dave H locomotives perform as he had decided to stay over a day before heading back to Arkansas. I had never seen them except on level elevated tracks. It was an impressive show. Tom's twice rebuilt C19 was pretty impressive also. Here are some more pics for you to enjoy. later in the day Dave ran his 4-4-0 "Amerigull" I believe he calls it. It is his mogul converted to a 4-4-0 and bored out to some extreme measurement. He ran it free style without any radio and it just chugged around and around hauling an impressive train. It would slow for the grades but never stalled out. It ran so slow you could sit there and count the beats when it hit a grade. Unfortunately I had put the camera away and did not get any pics of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts