G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Plant Rolling stock Vehicle Train Tree

A great day on a well-built elevated layout built by Kevin Laughridge on lovely Lake Geneva.
Train Plant Rolling stock Tree Steam engine

It was a narrow gauge day with a couple of monster standard gauge engines for good measure. Kevin started the steamup by running his K37 pulling a nice array of Accucraft coaches.

Terry Seese’s C19 followed quickly with a freight consist.

The Accucraft Allegheny broke the narrow gauge runs with an awesome one as well.

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Track

I continued the standard gauge parade with the SG Aster Garratt..

A C25 and K28 made an strong appearance followed by a K28 doubleheader. Kevin has the video of that-very impressive stuff!

Thanks to Kevin for hosting a truly enjoyable day!
Plant Tree Rolling stock Track Train

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sam, Thank you for posting and the nice words; it was a really enjoyable day! I enjoyed running with you and Terry.

Attached is a quick YouTube video of your beautiful Garrett and Double Heading the K28s. Looking forward to the next Lake Geneva Steam-up; note Terry's very cool scratch-built caboose on the end (it even had a fully detailed interior).

Great times!

Kevin

·
Registered
238 Posts
Adding to this thread, I was able to do some cool weather steaming today with the H8 and a coal drag before the Turkey dinner. Generally steamed ok but had a hard time keeping pressure up while pulling the train, 50 psi to start kept dropping down to about 30 while pulling the train. Was running a butane / propane mix; seemed the fire couldn’t quite keep up.

That said, some really great plumes!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kevin,

Good fall weather for running your H8! Sorry to hear about the pressure drop—both burners lit? It seemed fine when we ran the last time but, of course, it’s live steam…every session can be different than the last.

Sam

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Maybe a bit hotter water in the tender water bath would help. I always fought with my Frank S trying to run in cooler/cold temps, once pressure drop started, I had to warm up the tender water to keep gas pressure up to the burner

·
Registered
238 Posts
Kevin,

Good fall weather for running your H8! Sorry to hear about the pressure drop—both burners lit? It seemed fine when we ran the last time but, of course, it’s live steam…every session can be different than the last.

Sam

Thanks Sam, turns out it was user error. I updated the video and added a new short at the end showing today’s performance with a key difference…. Warm water to the tender.

This time I had no shortage of steam pressure and the engine ran about as good as I could hope. The coal drag needs some work on the couplers to make sure they stay connected and the caboose needs a bit of grease to roll better but I am pleased with the power.

The fuel line ended up splitting at the end of the run in the tender (too much pressure?) and I need to re-oil all the running gear but overall, I think the H8 is finally getting run in.

Fall running might be the best type of running, I am amazed at the size of the steam plumes.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, link to new video repeated here, jump to 1:24 to see the following day:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You should see steam plumes at 0'F! I did that with some smaller 16mm engines that I could steam up on the counter in the kitchen, then carry with oven mitts to the layout right off our deck. The plume would hang in the air nearly the whole way around the layout.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Sam, turns out it was user error. I updated the video and added a new short at the end showing today’s performance with a key difference…. Warm water to the tender.

This time I had no shortage of steam pressure and the engine ran about as good as I could hope. The coal drag needs some work on the couplers to make sure they stay connected and the caboose needs a bit of grease to roll better but I am pleased with the power.

The fuel line ended up splitting at the end of the run in the tender (too much pressure?) and I need to re-oil all the running gear but overall, I think the H8 is finally getting run in.

Fall running might be the best type of running, I am amazed at the size of the steam plumes.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, link to new video repeated here, jump to 1:24 to see the following day:

Yeah-i assumed you did that but Mike was right to remind us that pouring a warm water drink is a good thing to do in cold weather! I still need to come over to remove those pesky buckthorn trees…;)of course, a special drink will be needed for those as well…I look forward to running there again!

Best for the holidays!
Sam

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I know someone in our steam group that still has the Aster version in kit form. He has not had the time to put the kit together. Maybe he will soon and bring it to the big layout in Terre Haute.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Mike,

I’ve only seen the aster version a few times…very nice indeed but the Accucraft version—although tough to find also—would fit my budget a bit better..unfortunately right now my train cup runneth over…and I’m in deficit spending right now…

Sam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts