G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Ryan started spring break and I had my normal work week of 3 days we were able to get together at Dans and run some trains. We even had a guest appearance of Dave Rose who showed up at lunch time to see what was going on...He seemed to be able to evade the camera though. Too bad Dan had to work he didn't get to enjoy the 26 degree weather much other than a few mins during lunch. Also Jeff Redeker didn't like that we were runing without him either.

Of course the K28 came out to play along with almost al of my rolling stock. 19 cars today were dragged along the tracks.

Also a wonderful GS4 came off the shelf today. Can you tell its an Aster?? It ran pretty much untouched for the length of the fuel. It did need about another 10 cars to give it a work out though. So much for finikey Asters!!!!

Here is the Accucraft  Gordon Watson GS4 waiting to stretch her legs.

And here she it running...

Just a little comparison with my Mogul and the K28 tender..A perfect fit isn't it???

And who says a Mogul wont pull, here she is pulling 19 cars with a long brass caboose. BTW none of the cars have ball bearings.

Of course we saved the best for last, one of the very first Accucraft 4-4-0's

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I was a little jealous that you and Ryan got to run steam all afternoon on my layout while I had to work!  I need one of those 3 day a week jobs or maybe I can go back to school and my wife can support me... 

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Well, technically it's not "spring" break....at least not here in NJ. I hardly call 26* spring! It's a good week off to get my shop projects done though. Oh, and go steam some engines too.

Good photos Jay, at least there weren't too many to go through.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Dan, your friends are making me jealous--my new track has snow and ice on it, with more snow coming down now. Other than that, it's comfortible outside, about the same temps as you have had. 26 degrees may be cold in NJ, but here in VT, it seems like a mild spring day.
Llyn Rice steamed his new K-28 on my basement track recently, and I expect to similarly host Don Buesing's C-19 when he gets it in a few weeks. Learned something while steaming the K; disconnect the basement CO detector first. Previous runs with my Shay and Roundhouse 2-6-2 had no effect on it or the smoke alarm, but the K sure did.

Larry

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Jay,

Thanks for the pictures and the great post. I'd like to try to get to one of Dan's informal gatherings some time. Perhaps in late spring.

I have the same snow situation as Larry, and in addition I am thoroughly failing Retirement 101 as Larry indicated on another thread. I guess I need to take lessons from him....

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Alan ,I just had an email to you bounce back due to invalid address(??) So, a paper copy is in the mail. Nothing urgent, you should have it Monday or so.

Larry

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Posted By Alan in Adirondacks on 03/01/2008 8:50 AM
Jay, Thanks for the pictures and the great post. I'd like to try to get to one of Dan's informal gatherings some time. Perhaps in late spring. I have the same snow situation as Larry, and in addition I am thoroughly failing Retirement 101 as Larry indicated on another thread. I guess I need to take lessons from him.... Best regards, Alan

Well Alan you will be happy to know that we had tested the Cabfoward on the track and she fits. Just a little tight on the yard line. How is your caboose coming along?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments on the layout and photos (becouse I took most of the non-blurry ones) :).  

Although politically incorrect, I would say that NJ has gotten some benifit from global warming this year with a very mild winter.  Could also be due to all the recent coal firing going on lately  but there has not been a week yet this year where its been too cold to run trains.  

Alan wrote about trying to make it down for a spring steamup:  Home Depot has their shrubbery out for spring so I guess it is unofficially here.  Rumor is that there might be a steam meet next weekend in honor of Jason's last weekend as a bachelor - He is tying the noose I mean knot.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I was glad to spectate, but would rather be running if time allowed. I need to get one of my eniges readied for those last minute lunch time steam-up oppertunities.

Jays K-28 was running great pulling the 19 AMS cars easily, and of course the Aster GS-4 ran flawlessly.

Jay, we need to put all our freight cars together and find out just how many the K-28s will pull before they stall. Then double head to see how much two K-28s will pull. Should be fun!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Dan- What was (the name of) the Aster you ran yesterday???? That thing was up to steam in like 3 minutes!! Even while it was 26 F out.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Dave,

That was the JNR C-12 tank engine.  It came up to pressure quickly but it was actually having trouble keeping above 2 bars becouse the safety and blower valve were leaking.  Also I think Ryan's cars were a bit too much load for it.  Despite some of its quirks I think it is a fun engine to drive.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Dan and Jay,

Unfortunately I am looking very hard for spring. I have 36" of white stuff on my deck at the moment...

The job looks like it will have me tied up full time until sometime in May. I'm glad to hear a cab forward made it around Dan's circuit. That could make it tempting for a trial run of the double-headed San Joaquin Daylight before Dr. Rivet's gathering.

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Alan, since yoy are leaving soon on business before you get my letter, I know someone who may be interested in your Lilly Belle 4-4-0 (the one still in the box) if you decide to part with it.

Larry

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
The two GS4 are as denoted in the photo:

1) Aster (in background) running

2) Accucraft- an alcohol fired, highly modified by Gordon Watson to Aster standards such as: cross ported, working combination levers, reworked axle pump/hand pump, screw reverser,  are among the long list). Havig fine tuned set in place mofications and adjusted suspension this engine running charactertistics matches the Aster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts