G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you believe 70 degrees on Tuesday when we were steamin and today it is in the 40's. Crazy weather here in Houston but we get to steam just about any time we want to steam.
We got to gether at Steve's yesterday for a good outing. Dave Young was running his Aster Prussian P8, Steve, his SRRL24, Reynolds his Accucraft Mogul and Art hie Aster S-2.
I dont want to give the impression that I have become an ASTER SNOB, but believe you me, since Hans and Jeff spent about six hours reworking the S-2,I connot believe how efficient she runs.

I di not put the full consist of cars on her all morning but did for a while, the track was a little slick from dew that was there from overnite. I was also embarrased as to how long i occupied the track. One fueling and
occasional adding of water and she ran for over an hour plus.

Here is a video of all the four engines that we ran yesterday. As you can see I just set the camera up on tripod and let her run.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Art,

Thanks for posting your video. Good to see your Aster S-2 is up to speed now.

I'd like to be able to steam during the week, but work comes first. Y'all are lucky you had such good weather. 80 degrees in Houston yesterday!

·
Registered
233 Posts
The picture quality sure looks better than in the past. I take it you did something different to improve picture quality.

It was a great day and a great bunch of steamers. As you mentioned the weather was great. We had all three of Steve's tracks occupied and folks on the steam up tracks getting ready to run.

By the way Steve's wife was kind enough to have us old men over to steamup on her birthday. She is a pretty super lady.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can say that again Dave. Beth Anne is super nice.
Did not do anything different Dave except You Tube is doing that upgrade that makes quality of video better.Trying to get better, Takes a lot longer to upload the videos.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Thanks for the nice words about the wonderful Lady that puts up with me. (And like you say.............All of us). Art, what ever you are doing, the videos are coming across with much better quality now.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
OK, I have to say, I'm damn jealous of you guys. It seems to me you are steaming at Steve's every damn week. Chooooo Chooooooo!

Is there anyone on Cape Cod who wants to help build a public track?

P.S. I'm glad to see your S-12 is now performing as anticipated. I watched her at DH, quite a beauty she is, though too big for my blood.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We do have a great oppurtunity to steam here in Houston, What with Steve's e;evated track, John Frank's Garden RR and Zube Park.
Steve is kind enough and Beth Anne tolerant enough ,that we do get to Steam almost evry Tuesday as long as it does not rain. It can be colder than you know what or hotter that ---- and we still get together to steam.
The s-2 is a performer. All of the engines that the guys have here do very well when they are MAINTAINED prpoerly.

Come on down.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Steve has a great track and he and Beth Ann are the perfect hosts. I finally got this Marklin BR18 to perform so I may bring it next time. It's been a real chore to get this thing to run like it should. Latest problem was a clogged jet.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
John, I noticed your pressure gauge was in the "RED" zone, but the only green part was way over on the left. ?? What pressure does Marklin recommend as "normal" ?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By JEFF RUNGE on 01/31/2009 8:30 AM
John, I noticed your pressure gauge was in the "RED" zone, but the only green part was way over on the left. ?? What pressure does Marklin recommend as "normal" ?

LOL
Jeff, I don't know all the instructions are in German. It runs best with the dial straight up. These engines were a Marklin disaster. Very few of them actually worked. I have messed with this thing over and over and even had Dave Hottman go over it. I think it finally will actually run and pull a few cars. We shall see. If not...........well I have something for target practice.
Sad thing is it is a nice looking engine. It is based on their electric ala Aristo cept they had the idea first. I understand the steam fittings are from Regner. The problem is just poor quality control and sloppy assembly. It's a long story, best told over a few biers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts