G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve S. invited the Houston Area Live Steamers for an end of the year steam-up in his backyard. The weather was great for December. Sunshine and 70 degrees. What a great day for a steam-up. Thank you Steve!

Here are some photos I took during the steam-up.

Happy New Year to everybody!

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I love the weathering job on the fire box of the S-2

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kent,

That might be "weathering" or it might be burnt steam oil spray. Only Art knows for sure!

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Okay Sailor Don you beat me to the punch this day. I do have some video of the Pearse, Reno and S-2. I was busy with the S-2 and did not get the video of Dave Young's Coal fired SRRL.
Like you said Don the weather was fantastic. We are still learning the S-2 and ger quirks. Water in tender being pumped into bioler and full pace while it was cold seemed to slow down temp somewhat.
The cars have new decals from the Stan Cedarleaf . The "EMPIRE BUILDER" sure looks good on the green cars. I still have a few numbers to put on the cars and I failed to take close up to shoe detail of Stan's work.

By the way Stan last check in the mail. DON IT WAS 46 DEGREES WHEN WE EARLY BIRDS GOT TO STEVE'S.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Art,

You put together a nice video presentation of today's steam-up. Thanks for posting. I need to learn how to do "YouTube" videos.

It was 38 degrees when I left my house this morning. I wasn't in any rush to be an "early bird". I was waiting for it to warm up a bit so I wouldn't freeze my butt off at the steam-up. At it turned out, I timed it just about perfectly. :)

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Sailor,
Allyou have to do is put your video from your camera on to pc via a video capturing. After you have made your movie you just save to a file in videos. Go then to you tube abd if you do not have an account,
costs nothing and the it pretty much is self explanatory. It has you browse your file for whatever you want to upload and you go from there. Give them aa little dtail about video and upload.

After uploading to "youtube" when you open your site on MLS the icon is on top to click on to usr the copy and paste the embed movie.
Hope i have helped.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Art,

I have done everything you said, and I now have a YouTube account. I have done everything they requested, but they won't send back a confirmation e-mail like they say they will. End result is that I can't upload anything to YouTube.

After farting around with it for over an hour, I have given up. I must be on the YouTube "bad" list.

I got what I paid for. Nothing. (unless you count the grief)

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
May be because of the Holidays. Dont't give up. Happy New Year by the way to all of the folks that participate in this great venue for us folks that have nothin better to do.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Art,

Nice video. Are those Aristocraft heavyweights behind the S2? They look very much to scale in the video - did you cut them down or are they scratch built......BTW my next project is to construct some Ralph Brown heavyweights that I've accumulated parts for....

Happy New Year!
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
They are the Aristo Sante Fe cars that I removed the decals and replaced them with Stan Cedarleaf decals. Still have the numbers to put on, I thought they looked pretty good for what I have invested in them.
Thabks for the compliment. I did nothing to the cars. I do plan on removing some of the weight in the cars and putting frosted windows. I dont plan on having passengers in cars and 11 of the cars weighs more than 40 or 50 of the boxcar types. The s-2 runs great but I am having a little trouble with her pulling heavy consists. By the way this was the first run since I had my fall and took her down with me.

Turned out very little physical damage to engine.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
wow - very impressive. Makes me wonder why I'm going to the trouble to build mine from parts collected from Ralph Brown....oh well, building is half the fun. Say, are you happy with the trucks on the Aristos? I'm considering using Aristo 3 axle trucks.

Again, very nice engine, cars and video. Maybe it is different in person, but on the video I don't notice any scale mismatch between the train and the cars.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
John
Those were great shots. Id better watch out, you'll replace me.

Mark
If you can build them, thats probably the way to go. Im not skilled at that level. The Aristo cars are a bargain when you catch them on sale at get two free when you buy four.

Im not a complete"!0 Footer" but if it looks good from five or ten feet and saves me a little money, Ill go for it.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John,

Nice video clips. Thanks for posting. I have a couple video clips I'd like to post, but so far, YouTube has denied me access to upload to my account on their site. Am I on their "No Fly" list? Maybe they found out that I'm a bad biker dude.

Art,

A few years ago I researched the AristoCraft triple axle truck heavyweight passenger cars. There was a lot of concern on the AristoCraft forums about the excessive drag due to the middle axle. Some suggested removing the middle axle wheelset since it would bind in the curves. I never purchased any AristoCraft heavyweight passenger cars, so I have no personal experience with the triple axle trucks. Maybe ball bearing wheelsets would work. But that could get expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By SailorDon on 01/01/2009 10:35 AM
John,

Nice video clips. Thanks for posting. I have a couple video clips I'd like to post, but so far, YouTube has denied me access to upload to my account on their site. Am I on their "No Fly" list? Maybe they found out that I'm a bad biker dude.

Art,

A few years ago I researched the AristoCraft triple axle truck heavyweight passenger cars. There was a lot of concern on the AristoCraft forums about the excessive drag due to the middle axle. Some suggested removing the middle axle wheelset since it would bind in the curves. I never purchased any AristoCraft heavyweight passenger cars, so I have no personal experience with the triple axle trucks. Maybe ball bearing wheelsets would work. But that could get expensive.

Don, my brother and Art already use the 6 wheel trucks and they work just fine. The high resistance occurs on layouts with the super sharp curves and is not applicable to our applications.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My first attempt at a YouTube connection.

After following all the instructions, I was finally able to upload to my YouTube account. The problem seems to have been with their interpretation of a "few minutes" and my interpretation of a "few minutes". After 1,500 minutes (roughly 24 hours), my YouTube account was confirmed and I uploaded 3 video clips from Tuesday's Steamin' at Steve's.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice Going Sailor Don.

The photos and clips are great. From mystandpoint it was worth your effort to get it all posted.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the encouragement Dave. It paid off for me in the end (new-found computer skills). Even if YouTube defines 1,500 minutes as a few minutes.

It's good that Art (or John) got a video clip of your live steam run with the "Wild West" boxcars. You had finished your run by the time I got there. Someone mentioned that I should have been there early when it was 46 degrees. My butane doesn't vaporize so well at that cold temperature and I didn't use the J. Frank "Aggie approved" method of vaporizing butane.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts