G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By F7 on 01/04/2009 5:47 AM
Steam train near completion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7810296.stm

Sir - this is pretty old news, having taken place in late fall. the loco - the A1 Peppercorn Pacific 'Tornado' - is presently guest of honour at the national railway Museum in York, after having been painted out in LNER green/BR - the colours in which it will run for the forseeable future....

It has been running around on the main line with trials hefty trains for a few weeks - much of which can be seen on youtube - awaiting clearance to run up to 90mph - there are other threads on this subject.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By steamtom1 on 01/04/2009 11:20 AM
It may be old news, but thanks for posting it, anyway. Those of us on this side of the pond sometimes miss things like this.

Ah, right.

This is the first page of threads about 'Tornado' ont this very live-steam forum - there are a tleast three more pages like this .....sorry about the OT threads, but the search seems to lock on to a word.........

Enjoy!

tac
www.ovgrs.org

1:1 scale live steam? Meet the "Tornado" Is it a new 1:1 scale live steam locomotive?? technically yes I suppose..but its not really a m... Posted in Live Steam by Scottychaos on 01/10/2008 8:18 PM OT, but interesting.....12" scale 'Tornado' Apologies for butting in, but this short video on Youtube demonstrates that the art of modelling in ... Posted in Live Steam by tacfoley on 02/12/2008 9:41 AM RE: OT, but interesting.....12" scale 'Tornado' Posted By vsmith on 02/12/2008 8:42 AM See what can be done if you simply decide to do it? I think... Posted in Live Steam by rwjenkins on 02/12/2008 9:00 PM RE: OT, but interesting.....12" scale 'Tornado' True - the figure so far is on the wrong side of $6Million. Some of it is mine [not a lot thou... Posted in Live Steam by tacfoley on 02/12/2008 9:27 PM RE: OT, but interesting.....12" scale 'Tornado' if we could raise the funds I'd support building one of these content.answers.com/main/content/wp... Posted in Live Steam by vsmith on 02/12/2008 10:06 PM RE: OT, but interesting.....12" scale 'Tornado' Hi, Here is a link to another "modern steam" effort (albeit commercial): http://www.trainweb.org/tu... Posted in Live Steam by dwegmull on 02/13/2008 12:33 AM RE: OT, but interesting.....12" scale 'Tornado' Dear Mr Wegmuller - over 700 of the 141R-class were built. Builder ... Posted in Live Steam by tacfoley on 02/13/2008 3:04 PM RE: OT, but interesting.....12" scale 'Tornado' Hi Tac, Thanks for the detailed information. While I knew that quite a few were built, I did n... Posted in Live Steam by dwegmull on 02/13/2008 4:49 PM RE: OT, but interesting.....12" scale 'Tornado' That's a beautiful locomotive, Tac. Everyone on the team and those that supported it should be... Posted in Live Steam by GrizzlyFlatsFan on 02/14/2008 6:01 AM RE: Close call About 8:00 last night the tornado sirens went off. I went out and could see a wall cloud over to the... Posted in Public Forum by Torby on 06/08/2008 3:13 PM Tornado at speed through depot Hi all, The newly built Pacific loco Tornado has now been painted in Apple Green, but befor... Posted in Public Forum by peter bunce on 12/29/2008 9:56 PM RE: Tornado at speed through depot My enthusiasm got the better of me. Nice to see such enthusiasm. And well worth it - I also wa... Posted in Public Forum by Pete Thornton on 12/31/2008 3:56 PM Close call Missed a tornado by six blocks last night. The sirens went off about 2:30 am last night, so we turne... Posted in Public Forum by Trains on 06/08/2008 2:35 PM RE: 1:1 scale live steam? Meet the "Tornado" Amazing is right, it's the ultimate scratchbuilding project! Although, having the whole cab be... Posted in Live Steam by rwjenkins on 01/10/2008 8:24 PM RE: 1:1 scale live steam? Meet the "Tornado" And it was cheap!! From what I read, it cost a mere 1.5 million pounds. That's a little over U... Posted in Live Steam by markoles on 01/10/2008 8:51 PM RE: 1:1 scale live steam? Meet the "Tornado" I've been following this project for over 5 years. Didn't realize that they were that close to a st... Posted in Live Steam by rbednarik on 01/10/2008 10:00 PM RE: OT, but interesting.....12" scale 'Tornado' See what can be done if you simply decide to do it? So now the Germans and the Brits have both buil... Posted in Live Steam by vsmith on 02/12/2008 3:41 PM RE: OT, but interesting.....12" scale 'Tornado' Do you realize how much it'd cost to get 5 guys to wear those suits! Posted in Live Steam by Semper Vaporo on 02/12/2008 10:37 PM RE: Close call Sorry to hear of all you folks problems, It looks like noboady is immune to tornado's for awhile. Posted in Public Forum by dartracer on 06/11/2008 5:49 AM RE: Tornado at speed through depot WOW! Now why cant we build a new one over here... Posted in Public Forum by vsmith on 12/30/2008 3:04 PM

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Tac,
But my son said it was front page news on todays BBC and said I must see it. I saw it and thought the guys in the USA might like to see it as well. I hope they did like to see it. If they do not like it I will of course refrain from submiting things in the future.
F7

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By steamtom1 on 01/04/2009 1:58 PM

Tac and F7,

Keep it up, both of you. There is no such thing as too much live steam news.

Hafta agree. Please don't apologise for anything to me, Mr F7 - there is no need, all I was doing was pointing out that we have already been talking about it here for well over a mumf.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
My father heard about this from a member of a British tour group on a Via train in Canada last week..... Interesting stuff!!!

G

·
0 Posts
If you study British railway practice you will find that locomotives for main and branch line service, as opposed to say industrial or quarry service, had forwad-pointing drain cock lines. The primary reason for this is as follows: Most British main and branch line stations of consequence were arrange with raised platforms so that passengers boarded and disembarked by stepping directly from the carriage onto the station platform and vice versa. Clearance between the carriage sides and the platform edge was a matter of inches (remember "Mind the Gap" T-shirts?) and was part of their standard loading gauge. The track-side edges of the platforms were supported by a masonry face several feet high and over the millenia these faces became caked with oil-soaked dirt, cinders, and soot.

If a locomotive standing at a station platform or simply passing through opened cocks which pointed laterally rather than forward a good portion of that accumulated residue would be blasted up through the gap and anyone standing on the platform or in an open carriage window would be blasted with the oily grit. Not a pretty sight. Hence forward-pointing drain cock lines.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Also, if your're standing on the track ahead of a moving engine, getting blasted by the steam from the drain cocks is the least of your worries!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts