G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahh- you open this thread with a sense of dread- but it's not what you think!

Out of the steam oils you've used, which one do you think has the best scent? The original stuff I got from Royce with my Ruby smelled great, very similar to 1:1 steam engines. I bought a quart of other stuff at the Summer Steam Up last year and it gives off a completely different and much weaker scent when my loco is running. One of the things I like about live steam is it stimulates all the senses- the sight, the sounds, the scents- okay, maybe not taste, at least not on purpose. But catching a whiff of hot steam oil as the loco goes by is one of the small joys for me.

I know, this is a singularly unimportant thread, but I'm just curious and it might stir some fun discussion.

Dean

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I don't think this is an unimportant thread at all... why else would it come up every few months?

People ask about it because of confusion and misunderstandings.

It is also asked because of the need by most of us to mail order it and since it is a petroleum product there are possible shipping restrictions and extra costs involved that tend to create some concern, so folk seek an alternative that maybe can be obtained locally.

The "aroma" thing is a different tack that I had not considered before... but for me it takes a different meaning. I have allergies that most people don't. Certain chemical combinations tend to create extreme pain in my sinuses. Some perfumes, room deoderizers ("odor cover ups" or "stinkums" as I call them! Such as Glade Candel Scents, and the oil vaporizers they put out), potpouri, tobacco smoke (especially tobacco that contains the stems and leaf veins that make the smoke more "potent") and some other petroleum distilates all can be quite painful for me to inhale. I have to be careful what brand of alcohol I burn in my Aster Mikes... the fumes from burning Sunnyside brand can knock me down if I get a good whiff of it... but the S-L-X brand is not so bad.

I know steam oil is a part of the aroma around my steamers, but I hadn't thought that there might be differences that could affect the aroma. So far I have not noticed a problem with either the stuff I got with my engines nor the Chevron 460 Steam Cylinder Oil I bought later.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
All the steam oil smells ok to me. Its that fake smoke from those drops that the sparkies drip down the stacks of their engines that gets to me
!! If you really want to talk stink..............those pellets that are used in Welesco and Mamod steam engines too.
Now that's technicolor stink!!!

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Steve, as you know, I always use the 'scented' variety of steam oil. Usually citrus delight or spring rain.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Posted By jfrank on 03/13/2009 12:11 PM

Steve, as you know, I always use the 'scented' variety of steam oil. Usually citrus delight or spring rain.
Can You get the Citronella scented type? might work as a but repellent too.
Regards,
Gerald

·
Registered
620 Posts
Semper,

Now I know why you used an acronym ;

N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide, abbreviated DEET,
but I can't figure how they came up with the letters to use?

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Shay Gear Head on 03/14/2009 11:53 AM
Semper,

Now I know why you used an acronym ;

N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide, abbreviated DEET,
but I can't figure how they came up with the letters to use?

I was using what I read on the side of the bottle under "Active Ingrediant".

·
Registered
170 Posts
"DEET" is the vocal pronounciation for D E T ( common name (by chemists anyway) would simply be "diethyl toluamide - the other stuff is structural info and isn't used colloquially (by chemists).

My LUCAS OIL smells like raspberries on a warm fall evening...: )~ :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Dave,

Yea, the tallow smells just like the Waffle House across the street at Diamondhead.

But less the interesting employees. That's where we all go to get our fix of things not allowed at home.

·
Registered
233 Posts

This is the first thread on steam oil where all the comments make sense (to me). I like the idea of getting the right aroma for ones steam oil. Me, I not only like the aroma coming from a coal fired engine; but I also like the aroma coming from our horses. Perhaps I can find a way to add the horse aroma to the steam oil.

Steve, what do you think about a little Dixie aroma?

For you folks that do not know Dixie --- she is the horse I use when giving horse drawn carriage tours of Galveston.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
when giving horse drawn carriage tours

Dave, why don't you "use coal" ? What's with the 1 hp rig? And why aren't you boiling water instead of gallivanting around the town?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts