G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proving once again that you can take the boy out of the Midwest, but you can't take the Midwest out of the boy, I fired up my Traction Engine on Saturday for a little agricultural fun.  The engine in question is a modified D.R. Mercer. It has been Americanized, painted, weathered and I installed a radiant ceramic burner.

I cannot speak highly enough about the burner.  It is dead silent. It resulted in a massive performance increase from the stock alcohol burner. 

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am dumber than a bag of hammers when it comes to alcohol firing./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif  My first attempt firing this engine resulted in a full meltdown of one of the rear wheels/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif  "Oh that was soft soldered?!!!"

I won't bore you with the details of the tractors miraculous recovery, but as you can see, I re-built her,  better, faster, stronger!   She had absolutely no trouble pulling my custom Case threshing machine.

Here are a few vital stats on the tractor.

Base machine: Type 1 D.R. Mercer Traction engine, manufactured in England, factory assembled, unpainted.
Scale: 5/8" = 1' (very close to 1:20 scale)
Powerplant: One, double-acting cylinder, full Stephenson valve gear, fully notchable reverser in cab.
Boiler and fittings: Pot boiler, in cab throttle control, single safety valve.

Mods:  Custom "lip" on smoke stack, sheet metal re-done on cab, Brass fuel bunkers added behind rear wheels, full disassembly and paint, insulated firebox, radiant ceramic burner, butane tank from Accucraft Ruby installed in fuel bunker, 8 ball shifter, fuzzy dice--  (just kidding about the last two);)

Thanks for looking!

Regards,

Eric

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Very nice traction engine. It came along way remembering the pictures in your first post. It looks like she gives you some good exercise too.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Must be nice to be so young and able to bend over that way to run the tractor. Some day you'll get as old as the rest of us./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that's the second time in one week that I have been accused of being young.  I guess it's all relative, I am rather young for a live steam enthusiast.  I am often also accused of being an old man in a thirty-something body./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

Don't blame me for being one of the smart "kids" who figured out that spending my hard earned money on steam engines instead of cars, women and rock & roll was more fun./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

At least this way I have ample time to install Radio control in my steam engines before I am a crotchety old man.;)

Regards,

Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts