G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help would be great my Accucraft Mogul has a bunch of hissing comming from the stack when i shut her down and when i open the drain i don,t have as much pressure comming out . Any answers from the pro,s.?The engine runs fine.:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Hopefully, not a boiler leak, assuming that when you state, "shut her down" meaning throttle closed. I assume the the drain open is the lube drain.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the reply guys. Charles i don,t think it is a boiler leak  the hissing can be herd when i shut her down after it is out of gas after running. I shut the throttle and you can still hear the hiss comming out of the stack . This just started. I have run the engine all last summer and no problems. It will still pull 7 ams cars with no problem. I have a globe valve on the lubricator blow down and i don.t seem to get the huge amount of steam comming out like before. Irt still clears it but not as intense. As for Dewights question yes it does want to move a little with the throttle closed and the johnson bar ingaged. Is there any one that can tune her up and do the needed repairs at a fair price?

·
Registered
170 Posts
As for Dewights question yes it does want to move a little with the throttle closed and the johnson bar ingaged.

Just for clarification, you do have the johnson bar centered (ie, off) when you're trying to blow down the oiler, and the throttle valve open, right?  When you run out of gas, center the johnson bar and close the throttle, otherwise the steam will bleed out the valve to the cylinders.  Open the oiler drain, then open the throttle to blow down the oiler (keeping the j-bar centred)

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
The blowby might be a small crack in the superheater tube where it enters the valveblock! Easy to check when the engine is cold you have more pulling power which decreases when the heat expands the metal and some of the steampressure escapes trough the fractured steam pipe! There are some fixes in the archives!!!

manfred Diel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts