G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at Ron Brown's steamup this weekend, I found a steam powered crane just down the road from his place. It's in terrible condition, but still a suitable inspiration for someone with an extra vertical boiler. I took the pictures early one foggy morning, but there is enough detail to provide many ideas.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
That has been there for several years. "If" it is the one sitting at the defunct Museum on west side of Hy 38 just north of Owego.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larry, that's the one. There's a guy on the Smokstak site that's been looking for an exhisitng rail version of a Browning. Seems most Brownings in museums are tracked and rail versions are scarce. There is a record of one other rail mounted Browning steam crane, which also had the #8, that once lifted coal on the docks in Kingston Ontario, then did duty in a scrap yard there. Could it be that this is the same #8? I wonder how Cornell University used the one near Owego.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Maybe to off load coal for there coal fired electric plant? Would be cool to do a model. Later RJD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts