G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Rocky,

I thought for sure that you would have had one of those GN 0-4-0s before this! By the way, did you see the 20" diameter curves that came out recently? Vic had pictures of various 0-4-0 locomotives running around that tight radius curve. That's even tighter than Lionel!! Looks like it would fit your garden perfectly.

You know its going to be awfully hard for that 4-8-2 to make it around 20 inch diameter curves.

Good luck,

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Rocky,

I think Ms. Rocky is right, be very careful, deliberate and predictable with the board. Did you move or are you in the same development? I think starting small, keeping it small, and primarily a garden is your best bet. I think you'll like the little LGB 0-4-0. I had one of the Southern versions, and it was a fun little loco.

Ms Rocky to become Mrs. Rocky? Congratulations!

Another idea for you: When I was living in a garden apartment, we had access to the back yard. I would build temporary loops. I ripped 4" squares from a 1" x 4" x 8' board. Then, I screwed one end of the track with the joiners in the middle of the board. In this way, I had supports under all my joiners, and supports no more than 24" apart. This was good for running my wedding train before I had a real layout. The track was more than strong enough to handle the weight of the LGB Mikado. In addition, the layout could be put down and taken up fairly quickly since it was not permanent.

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts