G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to HO scale and was wondering If I should get a engine and track separate with power supply or should I get a starter set? Can you recommend some starter sets under 500 dollars. I was also wondering, is there a way to run Marklin AC in the US where I live?

Thank you, Klaus

· Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Klaus,
Welcome to MLS, but the L refers to Larger scales, so I'm not sure that you will find much help here for HO.
I would look for an HO forum to help you, or maybe there is a Marklin one.
All the best with your hobby,
David Leech, Canada

· Registered
20 Posts
Hi all, just got my first train in the mail today. It's a Bachmann "Big Haulers" or G Scale "Wonderland Flyer" set. It came with an Engine, Tender, Passenger car, and two sort of cargo cars (I'm not familiar with the lingo yet). Also came with a bunch of a bit rusty track and the controller. The engine looks weathered or used but it is so pretty. Way heavier than I thought it would be! 250$ shipped and based on what I've seen online that seems to be a pretty good price. What I'm looking for is a thread on here that talks about this Wonderland Flyer set. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm curious about when it was made, how does the sound work or where is it, what do I do for the smoke ability...if it has it, and any other info I can find? It didn't come with directions which sucks. I haven't tried firing it up yet since I haven't had time so I'm not even sure it works, but the guy on the internet selling it said it works great and the internet never lies.
Anyways, thanks for any tips. I did see I need to Oil it, but I only have White Lithium and WD-40 that I use on my RC's.

· Registered
169 Posts
Bachmann used a 9 volt on the bottom of the passenger car for the 2 lights inside.
The tender needs a 9 volt battery to make the sound work in the tender and is located in the rear water fill cap.
Both cables need to be plugged in for all features to work.
Track is hollow steel that rusts and will not feed power to the engine at times. You should get some brass or nickel plated or even stainless track for good operation.
There should be a switch at the front of the boiler Inside the boiler) for turning the smoke on, do not expect much from the original smoke unit.

· Registered
20 Posts
Thanks PierceDanDan, I'm planning on testing this weekend. The track isn't too rusty and it's all I currently have so I may use some sand paper or a little Brasso to clean it up. I did find the compartments for batteries you mentioned. Do I really need special liquid for the smoke part or can I just use baby oil? I'm going to check Bachmann's website to see if I can find directions for this or any info on it. I'm not sure how old this thing is. I was also searching for a Wonderland Flyer thread on here and what I found was mostly a discussion on "Annie" and "Walsherts" or something like that. I need to figure out what those two things really mean and how to tell which one I have. It mentioned something about gears stripping, so I assume if I have any issues I'll need to know what type or style of train I have.

· Super Modulator
22,721 Posts
Post a picture of your loco.

Yes use smoke fluid, not baby oil, but try smoke last

Your biggest problem will be the track, if it is rusty you will have issues, not only with pickup from the track, but connecting sections.

To fix it, you will want to know what "generation" of the drivetrain you have, the plastic on the outside is immaterial.

Here's a guide to generations:

· Registered
20 Posts
Here's my new train! It works so that's a plus. I've since cleaned and polished everything up so it's nice and shiny. The track is old and doesn't stay together well so I'll have to work on getting new track. I did oil up everything that moves a bit. I popped off the cap at the bottom and greased and oiled in there to (following Bachmann's maintenance video. The sound board doesn't work to well. It does make the chugging sound but when it tries to blow the horn/whistle it cuts out. I'll have to replace the sound board. There was a bunch of dust on it and spiderwebs and even some bird doodoo. I have noticed on the carts a couple of the small details are missing (like the turning wheel valve) and on the engine a small piece on one side of the "cow catcher" or plow front piece. I haven't tried the smoke yet as I don't have smoke fluid. When I popped open the cap on the bottom the gears inside appear to be plastic. I got this primarily for Christmas. Shortly after my first child I bought an EZTEC Smokey Canyon train set and have been running that every year since and I wanted to update it so I started looking and I some Bachmann, LGB and Lionel trains, along with numerous other brands of a cheap or EZTEC quality level. I just really liked the look of the Bachmann so I picked this up. Now that I have it, have worked on it a tiny bit and ensured it worked, and watched a whole bunch of videos are "Garden Trains" (cause I don't have room inside) I think I'm going to get started on an outdoor setup. My kids are all grown now. Only one left in the house. I enjoy building and repairing stuff so I figure why not. My problem is (if you can call it a problem) I don't think I should run a Christmas train year round and maybe I should get another train to run pretty regularly. I did see a used Bachmann "Blue Comet" on Ebay. It's about 100$, but looks like it needs quite a bit of work (and I do like restoring things) but it also has a weathered look to it which I like. The tender has a big hole in the top of it, but I can replace the tender. Right now I'm thinking the biggest expense if I move forward with the hobby is Track. Gotta buy lots of it and then maintain it.

Attachments

· Registered
169 Posts
Note that older 4-6-0 Bachmann engines had plastic side rods and were noted for gear failure esp. if pulling too many cars. If you have the metal side rods then you have at least the version 5 and these have been referred to as the Annie (short for anniversary edition). However saying that, many user have upgraded the older engines with the newer Annie chassis.

· Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Not sure what a "side rod" is, but if it's what I think it is, they are metal.
Looking at your photo, the rods (all the connecting pieces between the wheels and the cylinders at the front) are metal, so you have an Anniversary or 'Annie' model. Side rods, also known as coupling rods, are the metal bar connecting the wheels to each other so they all move in concert.

· Registered
20 Posts
Nice, it's one of the reasons I purchased this train. I prefer this style of coupling rods to the other ones I've seen. I need to buy at least one replacement piece for the engine, it's one of the little steps attached to the cow catcher. Then the engine will be complete. Then I'll work on the sound system in the tender.

· Registered
20 Posts
from what I've seen I have to buy a whole cow catcher assembly and I didn't see the one with the metal rods on there. Did see one with plastic gold colored rods.
What is that metal/plastic piece on the cow catcher called anyways? It looks like a latch for something. Right at the top of the cow catcher, moves up and down.

· Registered
169 Posts
If you looking at the metal piece which has part of it going over the coupler then you looking at the 'bar' on the real engine that alows the coiupler to be opened from the side of the engine. Originally one had to stand between the engine and car to uncouple and many were either maimed or killed doing this.

· Premium Member
7,215 Posts
from what I've seen I have to buy a whole cow catcher assembly and I didn't see the one with the metal rods on there.
As you've discovered, there are many versions of the "ten-wheeler" as we call that 4-6-0. However, most parts are interchangeable. The Annie version you have includes a modified chassis with better gears (and metal rods) and the details on the boiler are better - brass handrails instead of ugly plastic ones. But the cab, tender, and many, many other bits are the same as previous generations.

This $16.12 item is the whole pilot beam (front end) of the loco with both steps and the coupler bar. It screws on the front to replace what you have.
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php

1 - 20 of 28 Posts