G Scale Model Train Forum banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Thanks very much everyone. It has a decoder installed, and it's all ready to go, but we still don't have power--six days with no electricity here. And it's over 100 degrees. Dominion power says they re coming tonight, between 6 pm and midnight

I'm going to post a builder's log after I test run it a little.

The pilot is way off, I agree. I already lowered it, but clearly not enough. It's pretty solidly attached at this point, too. I'll have to work on it.

Then I've got a set of aristo sierra cars that I plan to cut up and combine into reasonable length, late-period wooden coaches.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Thanks very much for the compliments--I'm learning as I go.

I made a builder's log of the whole thing and posted it under "Lownote's adventures in modeling."

It runs pretty well, although I didn't give it an extensive test. Our power finally came back on at 4:5 am yesterday morning. The track is a mess, and it's literally 98 degrees in the shade right now. It's like India out there.

Now it needs some coaches.

I took a shot yesterday of the 4-6-0 with two Hartland "long coaches:"

And with two coaches I downsized out of Bachmann coaches, lengthened and lowered:

Somebody ought to make a few 1:29 long wooden passenger coaches--say, 55 scale feet long. Wooden coaches up to 70 feet long were in use well into the 20th century on branch lines and smaller standard gauge roads. I picked up some aristo sierra coaches and am thinking about kitbashing them into longer, lower 1:29 coaches, as Marty Cozad did not long ago.

But I'm also thinking it might be easier to just scratch build the darn things

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Posted By East Broad Top on 09 Jul 2012 12:05 AM
Turned out very nice, Mike. How's it compare to your other 1:29 locos?

Later,

K Good questions--I'll take some pictures of it next to some other 1:29 locos. The problem, of course is the looseness of "1:29." Aristo sells a lot of stuff as 1:29 which really ain't. I have a couple consolidations kitbashed out of lionel atlantics--what scale are they? They aren't 1:24, but the cab is too big to be 1:29. I have an aristo pacific cut down to make an atlantic--I'll try that one, and the Aristo 0-4-0.

If I were starting over, I'd commit to either 1:32 or 1:20.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Some comparison photos:

Here is is next to an aristo 0-4-0. The 0-4-0 has been repainted and "detailed" but is otherwise stock:

And here it is next to an Aristo Pacific which was cut down into an Atlantic. It's basically a Pacific, but shorter by about three inches:

I think it's about right--it's maybe a little too small, but the Ma & Pa prototype was a small 4-6-0. The Pennsy A5 was a pretty beefy 0-4-0. It seems to me it's reasonable by the "eyeball" standard

·
Premium Member
6,894 Posts
I was glancing through a 20-year-old magazine today and stumbled on a couple of photos of a std gauge 4-6-0 that looked remarkably like the Bachmann ten-wheeler. I thought it might be of interest in the future as far as dimensions and proportions are comncerned? (Sorry it's not the greatest scan.) I was struck by the small cab and tall stack.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Lownote your ten wheeler and coaches are beautiful , well done .

Several years ago , I had lettered my Bachamn ten wheeler for the NYC , and had taken it to an old scale nut model railroader long time friend of mine , .........and his first words were , why is the cab so big ? I wish that I could show him your ten wheeler .

121 - 132 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.