So I've made some very slow progress--or maybe not. I shortened the boiler and roughed out a new cab. But the propertions look all wrong. The Annie's boiler is much too wide. If I make the cab to fit the drawing below, it seems too low, although the roof is falling right about where it should in relation to the dones. But the domes look too big. Or something
Making a new boiler would be the right thing to do, but I went into this thinking it would be a small project, easy to do. First I'd ghave to make a wagon top boiler, which is beyond my skill level, and then the problem with the Annie--for me--is attaching the boiler to the frame.
I just lowered the domes by around 1/4 inch--i'll post pictures later
Try lowering the windows just a bit. When you raised the cab (which helped), it looks like you didn't change the windows, so they sit higher. Drop the bottom edge maybe 1/4" or so and see what that gets you proportionally. To start, maybe just take a black Sharpie and color the bottom of the opening before making any cuts to give you a visual reference as to what it might look like. The sill should be about halfway down the side of the cab, about 3 - 3.5' from the floor from very rough paper-on-screen measurements of the drawings. But definitely, you want the bottom sill low enough to where you can stand and rest your arms comfortably on it. Your poor fireman is up to his armpits.
When i looked this morning at your model and the drawing, I really liked the lines you had of the model. The proportions looked great with the cab and the boiler size. But there was still something about the cab I couldn't put my finger on. Then you and Kevin mentioned the size of the windows. Eureka! I think that was it. By raising the cab a little and not lowering the bottom window sill, that might be the problem. My Gene Allen ten-wheeler live steamer has a typical Baldwin cab with it's signature roof line. The windows are a little larger than what you have. You might try to experiment with that a little and see if that works for you. All in alll, I think you will have a very nice looking locomotive IMHO.
As for the domes, comparing the drawing to the engine picture, it looks like you would be able to use the sand dome for the steam dome, and find a smaller dome for the sand dome. The sand dome looked about the right size for the steam dome in the drawing. Just an idea for you.
Thank you--I thought that too, at first, but if you look at the plan next to the Annie the dones are much closer to the plan in size. The annie's sand dome would be much too small. The domes on the plan are about the same height, but narrower.
It might work to replace the domes, but I'm going to go ahead with what I have. I can always cut them off later!
You did the right thing in lowering the domes and cab. You may want to try raising the boiler 1/8" or more, experimenting by putting matchstick spacers ( or some such) atop the cylinder saddle and raising the rear end the same amount. The Effect should be significant.
I managed to get a bit more done but work and life are intervening. Made some cab doors. They won't open and close, but I will probably leave them both glued open. The one in the picture is wedged in place with a bit of paper. I'll add a window shade and rivet detail. I glued the smokebox back together and glued the lowered domes.
Now it's mostly down to filling/sanding, filling/sanding, filling/sanding