G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So I've made some very slow progress--or maybe not. I shortened the boiler and roughed out a new cab. But the propertions look all wrong. The Annie's boiler is much too wide. If I make the cab to fit the drawing below, it seems too low, although the roof is falling right about where it should in relation to the dones. But the domes look too big. Or something

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
But the domes look too big. Or something
I've always thought the domes look too big for a smaller-scale loco. Maybe just replace the sand dome? Or cut 1/8" out of the height ?

And I agree your cab looks a little too low?

·
Super Modulator
22,239 Posts
I think that will make a significant difference. Don't give up!

p.s. QSI called today, overnighting my beta Titan.... should have it tomorrow afternoon. I do believe that the pilot production run has commenced also.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Good news about QSI. If I'm lucky, this will be done in time to get a QSI card.

Ok, so thanks to all who offered advice. I'm hoping this thread will someday be useful for someone else

So I added a little less than 1/4 to the cab, and I think it's about perfect. I had to make a new front, and I dummied up a roof

That's a 1:30 figure from Hong Kong in the cab.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
What about making a new boiler? It's easy enough to do, and then you'd have it to scale. How much is it off by?

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Making a new boiler would be the right thing to do, but I went into this thinking it would be a small project, easy to do. First I'd ghave to make a wagon top boiler, which is beyond my skill level, and then the problem with the Annie--for me--is attaching the boiler to the frame.

I just lowered the domes by around 1/4 inch--i'll post pictures later

@import url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Provide...ad.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Well it's still off as the cab window is still flush with the boiler. One could cut down the domes font and rear and it would help to bring it into proportion. To me the cab still looks off. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thanks again to everyone who replied. It really helps to have someone else looking at it. I cut the domes down by about 1/4 in the front, 1/8 in the back.

I think it looks better with the domes cut down, but now the cab windows seem off to me. I put a sill on the rear window and that made it look too small, maybe.

The cab is almost exactly the same size as the one aristo uses on its Pacific/Mikado. So I assume it's more more less right. If it gets much taller, it will start to look narrow gage.

It may be that you just can't make a good standard gage model out of an Annie without doing more major surgery.

I went into this thinking it would be fairly simple, but that boiler is a problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
Try lowering the windows just a bit. When you raised the cab (which helped), it looks like you didn't change the windows, so they sit higher. Drop the bottom edge maybe 1/4" or so and see what that gets you proportionally. To start, maybe just take a black Sharpie and color the bottom of the opening before making any cuts to give you a visual reference as to what it might look like. The sill should be about halfway down the side of the cab, about 3 - 3.5' from the floor from very rough paper-on-screen measurements of the drawings. But definitely, you want the bottom sill low enough to where you can stand and rest your arms comfortably on it. Your poor fireman is up to his armpits.

Later,

K

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Mike,

When i looked this morning at your model and the drawing, I really liked the lines you had of the model. The proportions looked great with the cab and the boiler size. But there was still something about the cab I couldn't put my finger on. Then you and Kevin mentioned the size of the windows. Eureka! I think that was it. By raising the cab a little and not lowering the bottom window sill, that might be the problem. My Gene Allen ten-wheeler live steamer has a typical Baldwin cab with it's signature roof line. The windows are a little larger than what you have. You might try to experiment with that a little and see if that works for you. All in alll, I think you will have a very nice looking locomotive IMHO.

·
Registered
925 Posts
As for the domes, comparing the drawing to the engine picture, it looks like you would be able to use the sand dome for the steam dome, and find a smaller dome for the sand dome. The sand dome looked about the right size for the steam dome in the drawing. Just an idea for you.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thank you--I thought that too, at first, but if you look at the plan next to the Annie the dones are much closer to the plan in size. The annie's sand dome would be much too small. The domes on the plan are about the same height, but narrower.

It might work to replace the domes, but I'm going to go ahead with what I have. I can always cut them off later!

·
Registered
301 Posts
You did the right thing in lowering the domes and cab. You may want to try raising the boiler 1/8" or more, experimenting by putting matchstick spacers ( or some such) atop the cylinder saddle and raising the rear end the same amount. The Effect should be significant.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I managed to get a bit more done but work and life are intervening. Made some cab doors. They won't open and close, but I will probably leave them both glued open. The one in the picture is wedged in place with a bit of paper. I'll add a window shade and rivet detail. I glued the smokebox back together and glued the lowered domes.

Now it's mostly down to filling/sanding, filling/sanding, filling/sanding

41 - 60 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.