G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
One thing that I noticed about the drawing is that the front truck has a shorter wheel base than the big hauler has. Shortening that would also help with the standard gauge look, I think.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Pete, if you're looking for a bit of inspiration for that engine project, how about an 1890s D&RG 10 wheeler? You'd have to move the third driver to behind the firebox, but other than that... :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yes, this engine has a long straight boiler, but it does seem smaller in diameter than the one you built, in relation to the drivers. If you could find a plastic pipe that would work with the smokebox from the big hauler boiler, that might be closer to the right diameter for this engine.
Doesn't the T-12 have a wagon top boiler? That wouldn't work for this engine.

·
Registered
925 Posts
As best I can measure, the large diameter part of the boiler on my Big Hauler 10 wheeler comes to 61 inches in 1/20.3 scale. If the boiler on # 4 was about 58 inches or so with the lagging, that's a pretty close match. It's pretty hard to argue about a 3 scale inch difference. :)
That would mean that the straight boiler that Pete made from a couple of donors is actually pretty darned close to correct diameter.

·
Registered
925 Posts
As for the domes, comparing the drawing to the engine picture, it looks like you would be able to use the sand dome for the steam dome, and find a smaller dome for the sand dome. The sand dome looked about the right size for the steam dome in the drawing. Just an idea for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.