G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Mike,

I don't have a way of getting pictures of my 7.5 inch gauge ten-wheeler to you (all old prints), but I found some pictures off some live steamer sites. This will give you another angle as to how the proportion should be in relation to cab, driver size, frame length, etc. Hope this helps.

BTW, the driver diameter is eight inches and if I remember correctly, the lead truck wheels are slight under 4 inches. If you need the dimensions closer, I can go out in the garage and measure my locomotive. I haven't been able to run it in years because of eyesight issues!

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Mike,

When i looked this morning at your model and the drawing, I really liked the lines you had of the model. The proportions looked great with the cab and the boiler size. But there was still something about the cab I couldn't put my finger on. Then you and Kevin mentioned the size of the windows. Eureka! I think that was it. By raising the cab a little and not lowering the bottom window sill, that might be the problem. My Gene Allen ten-wheeler live steamer has a typical Baldwin cab with it's signature roof line. The windows are a little larger than what you have. You might try to experiment with that a little and see if that works for you. All in alll, I think you will have a very nice looking locomotive IMHO.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Posted By lownote on 07 Jun 2012 11:38 AM
Thanks again to everyone who has replied--it's been a great help.

More progress, more problems

Decided on a straight running board on the engineer's side. The patch came out well, and the running board does not actually go uphill--the boiler is just sitting a little high on the saddle. Vaguely 1:29-ish man is small, but not outlandishly small, next to that boiler. I will probably replace the stock Annie "cowcatcher" with a brass one I have, or maybe I'll fabricate a freight-style pilot.

One serious problem with the thing which you can't see here is that now the running gear, the valve motion, sticks out well beyond the running boards. It looks odd. I can't really make the running boards wider without making the cab wider, which make s it look narrow gage again. I don't think I can manage narrowing the running gear. Can that be done?

Below, though, things look a little worse yet

Vaguely 1:29-ish man is standing next to a gigantic air pump, something that might have come off the Titanic. And the Annie air tank/raised running board is now too wide. I think there's a Trackside details order in my future.

Predictably, this started as something that was going to be fairly simple and straightforward and has now wound up much more complicated!
Mike,

Your bash looks great to me. Very nice work!

Can I make a suggestion regarding the running board width? How much would you have to add to the running board width to make it look right to you? Going back to my 7 1/2 inch gauge ten-wheeler, my cab sits on an extension of the running board castings. When the cab sits on this casting, there is a small ledge on the bottom of the cab side walls. About 3/8th of an inch on each side on my engine. Just reduce this figure to 1/29th scale. You would have to scratch-build some new running boards though. Just a suggestion.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Posted By lownote on 07 Jun 2012 12:23 PM
Thank you!

I'd probably have to add just under 1/4 in 1/1 to the running boards on either side to have them come out to cover the valve gear. I could just add a styrene strip, and maybe cheat it down, so it tapered back towards the cab. It might work--maybe add 1/8 to each side and cheat it back as it approached the cab? Then I could get away with using the Annie's stock air tank. But it would probably be too obvious a taper and look weird.
My ten-wheeler is patterned after a generic Baldwin. Possibly a MA&PA or even a Wabash. The running boards on my loco are narrower at the front (near the smoke box and then make a gentle s-curve to increase width at the steam pump and cab, if this is any help. I haven't run my steamer in about eight years (since the loss of sight in one eye). It is stord in my transport trailer now. If you need a photo as reference, I can try to unload it and get some photos for you. Might take me a while. But I think you have the idea though.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Mike,

You ought to be very proud of what you have accomplished thus far.Absolutely beautiful looking ten-wheeler! To my eye, the lines and proportions are perfect. The generator and bell look fine to me. The headlight may be a little small, but I would "live with it" for a while to see. The cab really turned out nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.