G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
"When did the Southern go to the green paint scheme, as on the Pacific at the Smithsonian? It was in the 1920s, no? And only passenger engines?"

Mike;

Probably some time in the mid-1920s. The tale I have heard told is that President Spencer (of the Southern Ry) was on a trip to England. He happened to ride the Southern Railway of England, a really took a liking to their green livery for passenger locomotives. When he got back home, he decided to try the green livery on his own road's locomotives.

Now, I'm working from memory because my books are at home, but I think the Grouping (various smaller railways into Britain's "Big Four") happened sometime before 1925. Had Mr. Spencer visited prior to that event, there would not have been a Southern Railway to ride upon, only smaller lines like the London, Brighton & South Coast. Hopefully, one of our members from across the pond will chime in and correct my dates, if needed.

Best,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
"I'm not sur the southern used green and gold in 1910."

Mike;

Probably not. 1910 was prior to the Railway Grouping in England. President Spencer (of the Southern Ry) got the idea for the green livery on a trip to England, where he saw a similar livery on the Southern Ry's (of England) passenger locomotives.

Yours,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
OOPS! Sorry, must have been another Southern Railway president. The account I had read stated it was the president of the US Southern Railway, and I did not have my reference material handy, as I was at work. Ususally remember most details, but I'll just have to list that as a "senior moment."

Yours,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Uh, I probably shouldn't bring this up, but I will anyway. It may be too small, but I was musing whether the Lionel LS Atlantic's tender could be bashed for this project. It may be too narrow, but some TLC with a band saw may allow you to widen it out. I haven't seen one of those locomotives since ECLSTS, so my idea of its size is a little fuzzy.

Just another $0.02,
David Meashey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.