G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
A few thoughts looking at the Ma & Pa drawing...

The Ma & Pa engine is basically a Baldwin catalog model shortline 10-wheeler, so it could plausibly fit in just about anywhwere, even if the W&OD didn't have that specific engine.

The chassis doesn't need shortening at the rear, but the front wall of the scaled-down cab will be further back on the boiler. I'm not sure if the stock cab just fits over the boiler, or if there are grooves in the boiler that it slides into that will need to be filled.

Definitely shorten the pilot truck, the wheelbase is too long even for the ET&WNC narrow gauge prototype for the Bachmann model.

The existing sand dome would be about the right size for the steam dome, so you only have one new dome to worry about (a new, smaller sand dome).

The mounting holes for the handrail stanchions look like they're in about the right place, just that the Anne has longer stanchions that stick up vertically to raise the handrail to its final height. Using short stanchions that stick straight out from the boiler (instead of bending upwards) in the existing mounting holes should do the job, I think.

Smokestack and headlight are probably usable as-is, but the smokebox should be shortened a little bit. From the double row of rivets just ahead of the smokestack, the part of the smokebox between there and the smokebox front should be somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3 of its current length.

The cylinders and valve chests are one thing that always scream "Annie", or more specifically, the overhang of the valve chests over the side of the cylinders. Check it against prototype photos and decide if it's something you want to live with or try to change. Larger cylinders might help.

Use 1:29 detail parts for the air compressor, bell, dynamo, etc. They might look "close enough", but the overall effect will make a huge difference in the appearance of the model.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Looking at the size and spacing of the drivers on those Southern engines, I'm thinking a new set of drivers would go a long way towards transforming the Annie's apperance. I wonder how easy it would be to retrofit with Slater's wheels? (https://slatersplastikard.com/wheels/gauge1.php) They list their offerings in prototype feet and inches in 1:32 and 10mm scales, so you'll need to do a bit of math to figure out what you need in 1:29. Convert to inches and multiply by .90625 to figure out what the 1:32 size scales out to in 1:29. Multiply by .95144 to convert from 10mm scale.

Accucraft has a parts section in the e-store on their website. They might have some 1:29 stuff listed there from their K4, USRA switcher, and B&O docksider.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts