G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any problems with mixing stainless and brass track together outside? I just go a Stainless Wye for 69 bucks for the new layout entrance from the basement.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
I've had my layout set up for about three months. Everything is Aristo Craft brass except the four Aristo Craft Wide Radious Stainless Steel Switches. I used brass track clamps. So far there has been no problem at all.

Randy

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Will work fine.

Some track power guys have noticed the train running faster on the stainless sections.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I've been gradually switching my brass track to stainless. I have not noticed any problems, but I've put anti-corrosion paste on all the joints where I have different metals. I have some brass clamps, for example, on stainless track. I used anti-sieze compound from the auto parts store

On my track the trains tend to slow down a bit on the brass, unless it's just been cleaned. But otherwise no problem

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great and thanks for the reply's. I want to hand lay my logging railroad and will using code 215 aluminum so I guess going from brass to aluminum should also be ok?

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Aluminum is much more reactive with dissimilar materials, if you use clamps, I would suggest SS clamps.

Put grease all over the rail so no water can get trapped.

Regards, Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts