G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search and turned up nothing on the forum and I've done a Google search with no luck.

I'm looking for some miniature "square" nuts and bolts. I know they exist, because I have some right in front of me. Without putting a mic on them, the bolts are approximately 1mm in diameter and about 5mm long. The nuts are 2mm wide across the face.

A freind sent me a sample that were part of set that consisted short pieces of 5mm high rail and fishplates with the nuts and bolts to join them together. He has no idea of their origin other than Europe.

I have found the "simulated" nuts and bolts, but that is not what I'm looking for. I prefer the real thing.

Any leads will be helpful. Thanks and regards to all . . . . Ken

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
RE: Square Nuts & Bolts

Ken,
Sometime back in the early days of LS a fellow in Switzerland made perfect scale fishplates, tie plates, nuts and bolts. Didnt las long cause the price was too high I guess. Would be a bargin today. Also some one in Oz made a track system which I believe used the type of nuts and bolts you are looking for. They folded also. I have been looking for square washers and got a couple in a Micorfasteners order. Asked them for more and they never came across. You could talk to them. Real long shot though.
Noel

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noel . . . . I think the ones I have actually did come from Switzerland. I'm wondering if David Fletcher might have heard of the folks down in the Land of Oz.

Bruce . . . . I found the site you mentioned this morning when I was doing a Google search. The only thing they have that are square are "simulated" nuts and bolts.

Thanks for the help . . . . Ken

·
Registered
80 Posts

Galtran actually stopped selling nuts/bolts/rivets and associated hardware back in late 2006. The page referenced above is simply an archived one.

Brian

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Ken,

I hesitate to suggest this, but if you had square stock and a lathe, you could make your own.

Or, buy the round stock of the std diameter closest to what you want, thread it with a die, then take the square stock of the dims you want, center-drill it for a tap size, then tap it out and cut it to width. Or, thickness. Tedious, I know, but doable. You'd solder half the nuts to the threaded stock for bolts. Or glue/locktite 'em, if you want. (I'd solder 'em).

You wouldn't really need a lathe, but that'd make it infinitely easier. And you'd have what you want.

Of course, if you do this, you risk blindness & insanity.

Also, be aware that old flat nuts had a mild radius on one side--supposed to be the outside. The face against the washer was flat.

Les

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Les . . . . I laughed when you said "I hesitate to suggest this, but . . . . Actually, I have thought of that, or at least something like it. I have found threaded rod the size that I would need and I could drill and tape some square brass rod, and like you say solder a nut onto one end to make the bolts. But that would be rather tedious and time consuming. I don't have a lathe, which would help tremendously.

I have this feeling that the square nuts are "out there somewhere" and I just need to find them. Just think, if I can find the nuts, with those and the threaded rod the rest would be a breeze.

At least now I know that I am not alone as someone who comes up the "these ideas" and isn't afraid to give them a try. Thanks for you input and support . . . Ken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John . . . . These are the folks that have the "simulated" square nuts and bolts. But who knows, something might be made from these.

Thanks . . . . Ken

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Ken,

I'm glad you got a laugh, any way. I'm a retired tool & die maker. I've made lots of threaded parts over the years, so it's a natural thought for me.

I too suspect those nuts are out there. Finding 'em will be the trick. I'm looking also, even though I have a small lathe--it's a lot of work to make 'em up.

Consider/investigate using the really sturdy Locktite in lieu of solder. I'm no longer familiar with the various grades, but I'll bet there're a lot of guys on this board who are.

Opps, wife's rattling my food dish...

Les

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Have you tried Walthers. They carry brass nuts and bolts. Or try bob bits located Lynn creek , Mo. Later RJD

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim . . . . Scale Hardware has some great products, but these are the folks with the "simulated" square nuts and bolts.

RJD. . . . Can you be more specific about this Bob Bits of Lynn Creek, MO? My search under Bob Bits has turned up nothing. Do you have a web-site or a phone number?

Thanks and regards . . . . Ken

·
Registered
124 Posts

I started a thread on this awhile back. Mostly what I use are 1-72 scale nuts by Walthers. With them I use a K and S 1-72 die
to make threaded rod. I bought some regular 1-72 hex nuts onle to find that hole thruogh them is bigger than the hole in the Walthers scale nuts. I've looked over numerous tap drill and die charts but never found the answer. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts

Ken, scale hardware has both simulated and real threaded, not sure why you say only simulated?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jim . . . . Check the list again. The only "SQUARE" nuts and bolts are simulated. The "real" threaded nuts and bolts are HEX head.

Chris . . . . You may be onto some there. I think I have located some threaded round-head bolts that will work for me and I might just be able to fabricate some square nuts. You've got the wheels to turning a little. I'll let you know what I discover.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Chris,

I think I was one of several who answered. I opined that you might have metric threads on one. You'll need a mike and a pitch gauge to find out what you have, as far as I can think at the moment. All that is on ebay for pretty reasonable prices. Or a dial caliper might even be better.

Les

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Kenneth: Sorry I got one of the letters wrong it should be Hob-Bits. The package only gives an address. Its P.O box 98 Lynn Creek MO. I got these at my local hobby shop. Later RJD

1 - 20 of 42 Posts