G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, when Ken Molchanow held the inaugural “run� on his RGS (South Jersey Division,) the temperature was in the triple digits by mid-afternoon. We die-hard 1:20.3 scale narrow gaugers had a great time anyhow. This year, for the Spring Run last Saturday, the weather was perfect. The narrow gaugers had a great time again.

I thought you all might like to see what it looked like. Here are some shots taken throughout the day:

Fortunately, the portable shelters turned out to be unnecessary. (That's Ken, on the right, scratching his whiskers, and Bill Cole with the controller.)

The day started out a little cool and overcast, but soon turned into another gorgeous spring day in “The Garden State.�

Some had fun running trains and some had just as much fun sitting and watching them. (In the background, that's Jon Kling on the left and Dick Kilday on the right - sorry, don't know the young fella sitting in front.)

The center of attention was Ken’s recently completed (well, he still has to install the guard rails) “Bridge No. 22A� - an exact replica of the original on the Rio Grande Southern, built by Ken bent-for-bent.

The original trestle was 368 feet long and 58 feet high and that’s what Ken’s trestle scales out to be. It may take a while, but eventually the scenery will be built up to track level all around the layout.

As you can imagine, the trestle turned out to be a very popular spot for “photo ops.�

Roger Cutter brought along Rich Yoder’s pre-production model of the East Broad Top Mikado No. 14 to give it a real work-out in an operational setting. It performs as good as it looks.

Here’s Roger double-heading a string of stock cars.

Here are my new AMS Jackson & Sharpe coaches crossing the trestle in the opposite direction. That made for some interesting operations on the single-track main line with only three passing sidings (not counting the wye.)

This is the longest train I’ve ever pulled with my Accucraft C-21 â€" Ol’ No. 86 â€" seventeen cars and a caboose. While it may look like a helluva grade in the photo, it’s really only about one percent here â€" the ground slopes down, left to right, creating the illusion.

I imagine we’ll all be back in Williamstown, NJ, to do this again some time this fall. Hope you can join us.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
What a beautiful setting.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Thanks, Jack, lovely pics as usual, and that pic of #14 is gorgeous. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Great Pictures Jack-Thanks!

I wonder how close the Yoder model is to the Yukon Queen #190 at Tweetsie?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow, that EBT mike looks really impressive. Being more of a D&RGW fan, I probably wouldn't have thought about getting one, but that green boiler sure does look slick. Also, if someone made one undecorated, It would be great to turn it into a WP&Y mike. Having said that though, it is still a darn good looking model.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
What great meet and in a superb setting! I'm looking forward to seeing more of that layout once the scenicking starts. It should be spectacular.

I must also comment on the EBT Mike. That's a beautiful model and long overdue for eastern modelers. Very nice!

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
VERY COOOOL
Thats the great thing about a long main , having many trains run

1 - 9 of 9 Posts