G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Horizon Hobby sent me their Xmas catalog (full of planes and boats - no steam and no trains) and I noted that Spektrum now offer a 5-channel system, the DX5e. There's a corresponding AR500 receiver. The package of both is $99.99, which is significantly lower than the Dx6i that I bought this year. And who needs 6 channels?
DX5e 5Ch Full Range Transmitter/Receiver only MD2 by Spektrum

·
Registered
620 Posts
And if I read the specs correctly it only has memory for one model. So it cannot be setup for more than one locomotive in its memory? Somebody with more smarts than me please verify this. Carl W. feel free to pipe in!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Bruce, that's how I read it also. That is a big minus. I believe I currently use 6 memories on my unit and can't imagine not being able to customize each locomotive (boat) as required. Good price though for someone who doesn't require special setups or only has one locomtive.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Looks to me to be nothing but a single link for a single receiver. I don't see any way to tweek the individual channels other than to reverse servo throw. Good price though if somebody wants simple control of one object. Except for the no glitching aspect, it's like going backwards to the FM days.

It just occurred to me that someone with servos already installed in a loco and is driving them with an old FM or AM transmitter and analog receiver, this would be an inexpensive way to convert to 2.4 GHz. The installed servos would work with the AR500 receiver and the receiver power supply would be the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts