G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Hi all,
  When I checked with my insurance agent about coverage for my train equipment and track, I was told that my homeowners policy (Citizens) would not cover my train 'collection'.  It would be different if I had a train set or two like many households have, but a collection was a different animal.  I would have to have a rider attached to my policy with all my items I wanted insured listed and valued.  Special items like some of my older Aster live steam locos would have to be appraised.  This insurance was pretty expensive, and I'm not too sure if I was covered while traveling.
  I ended up joining NMRA and getting fairly cheap insurance thru them and J.A. Bash.  I'm covered when I travel as well as if I buy a new engine, it is automatically covered for up to $2500 until I get it back home and can contact them to change the policy.  Not too bad as far as I'm concerned.  You can also insure your outdoor track with them.  I believe the first $16,666 in value is about $110. per year.  Over that amount has a % of value added to the total.  I've used them for several years now, and although I haven't had any claims, I have found them very helpful with any questions I had.
  I must say that this is for information and insurance options only.  I have no connection with NMRA or J.A.Bash orther than using their coverages and memberships.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Mike,
  Be very careful.  My agent told me that $20-30K of trains are not considered toy models.  That much value makes it a collection.  I would not take an agents word on that much value.  I would want confirmation in writing to protect yourself.  I agree that pictures and documentation are very important.  Replacement value (as you stated) is a must.  Also consider deductibles.
 By the way, my agent was my brother.  I think I can trust what I heard from him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.