G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best option to protect your trains? Do you depend on your home owners policy to replace your trains when the house burns down, or is ruined, or do you rely on 'collectors insurance?" In my head I have between $8000-12000 invested in model trains from N scale to G, but I'm not to sure what I should do. I called and got a quote for 'collectors insurance' and it would be ~ $90 a year for $12,000 of protection... I don't have any really expensive locomotives (yet) but when you add track, RR cars, locomotives, RC/sound etc, it adds up. 
The other option is to beef up my home owners policy to cover my valubles?
Any ideas?
Craig

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the thing I would be worried about the most is trying to figure out exactly what I have.  I should start taking pictures of everything and keep a record. I try and keep all my reciepts from the train store for big purchases, but that doesn't cover all that money spent of little stuff like couplers, screws, etc. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif
When I talked to my insurance company they said that they would cover model trains, so it sounds from everyones response that this is the best way to do it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the info. I guess I should find some free time and start taking lots of pictures of my stuff. It seems that a little organizational skills and some time are the best prevention and helpful when making the eventual claims. One of the major things I was worried about was scratch built stuff as how can you 'set a value' on it? I think I'll call my insurance company (USAA) to get something in written saying model trains are covered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.