1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
received this email today :

"From: agajohnson
Subject: we are so sorry to interrupt you
Hi friend: we are so sorry to interrupt you ,but do you want to buy shoes or bags? now our shop have some Christian Louboutin shoes,UGG boots and some bags ,the quality is fine and the price is cheap ,if you like,you can come here to have a look.if this letter bring you some trouble and unhappy ,we feel sorry again. www.fendsell.com myLargescale.com http://www.mylargescale.com"

this is the source of the mail :

Received: from mail.vhost.expresstechsystems.net ([205.208.253.53]) by mail.sschaer.org
with SMTP (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx);
Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:09:24 +0200
Received: from host.mro-net.com [205.208.253.59] by mail.vhost.expresstechsystems.net with SMTP;
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 02:09:00 -0600
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: [email protected]
Date: 2 Apr 2009 02:09:00 -0600
Subject: Message from agajohnson on myLargescale.com
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Subject: we are so sorry to interrupt you
size=3D1>Hi friend: we are so sorry to interrupt you ,but do you want to=
buy shoes or bags? now our shop have some Christian Louboutin shoes,UGG=
boots and some bags ,the quality is fine and the price is cheap ,if you=
like,you can come here to have a look.if this letter bring you some trouble=
and unhappy ,we feel sorry again. www.fendsell.com=0D=0A=0D=0A size=3D1>=0D=0AmyLargescale.com=0D=0Ahttp://www.mylargescale.com

check the subject ... "Message from agajohnson on myLargescale.com"
obviously this is a spammer with a chinese mail account. just wondering, how he knows about my membership here. anyone else received this email ?

shad, are you sure your servers are hacker-proof ??

i just xxxxx-ed out the version of my mail server for security reasons.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Probably a little past most mods bedtime ... but ... since I was here:

The same fellow had started posting the same thing in every thread, starting at the top and working down .... all of those have now been removed....so someone's on top of it. I suspect the spammer used the same account he made to post to start sending private messages (after all, anyone can sign up here until they prove to be a problem, it's one of our more well liked features.... ) and most of us have those forwarded to our e-mail as well.... or at least an e-mail link available, with the address blind.

So, he got to you before he got cut off ... but your info is probably safe. He didn't get to mine....

Matthew (OV)

·
Registered
103 Posts
...yep I just got the same email to my personal mailbox.

As it appears to have nothing like mylargescale.com in the headers is it safe to mark it as spam? I don't want to block any genuine MLS mail...

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi,

Yes I would call it spam, Kevein Strong (east Broad Top) also agrees and has put a note up to ask Shad to lock him, as a 'spammer'. So any mail from him can be discarded, and it should also stop.

Alas such people are a 'fact of life' on the internet, vigilance (thanks Kevin) is and I am quite sure, be continious for such things - there have been others; and I am quite sure there will be more!

·
Registered
103 Posts
yes if it comes thru on a "you are subscribed to this thread..." email from MLS then we don't want to mark that as spam of course....just the PMs that come from the spammers actual address. Sorry if this is obvious...

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
My guess is that he discovered the "send message" icon and started sending messages that way since we were deleting his posts to the forums as he was making them. Alas, we rank-and-file moderators cannot lock an account, we can only bring it to Shad's attention, so such abuse is bound to happen from time to time until Shad sees the note. One wouldn't think the return on investment by clicking and sending PMs to individuals one at a time would be remotely worth it, but at 2AM, I guess he's got time on his hands (or a little one who's teething, Ugh!)

Later,

K

·
Registered
401 Posts
Why yes, I would love to buy some of your shoes. That is the whole reason I signed in to MLS this morning (sideways smileyface) LOL

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Well, do I feel stupid! I got my first and only spam thru this board this morning, and sent a question to 'Service' to see what was going on, thinking that it might cause a problem for the site if I posted on the boards.
And here it is in broad daylight, so to speak.

I don't quite understand what, if anything, to do about it, so I'll just wait 'n see, I guess. I'm embarrassed that I went thru Service, though, as I expect they're busy enough.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Posted By Engineercub on 04/02/2009 9:47 AM
Why yes, I would love to buy some of your shoes. That is the whole reason I signed in to MLS this morning (sideways smileyface) LOL

Chuckle.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
2:00 AM "our" time was mid afternoon "his" time.

I got the message twice this AM.

I would really like to get him in a room with a sledge hammer, and a brick, just to find out how he feels about being a "gelding" when I leave.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I did a number on one spammer ;.....

Forwarded every junk-file that I had to him. Took me about a half hour to blast the lad.

Don't know if it worked but made me feel good

gg

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
This guy with the shoes for sale seems to show up here periodically, and his posts are always deleted as soon as one of us sees him. Since all one really needs to register with MLS is a valid email address never before used here, and since free email addresses can be had from Google, MSN, Yahoo, etc., there really isn't an effective way to stop him permanently.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Yep I got one also. So looks like a lot of others did also. Maybe if he gets enough nasty grams he will quite. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I apologize that I didn't see this until now. It was visitors day at the twins' preschool and I was there most of the morning. I've taken care of this account. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot we can do when a spammer decides to sit down and send emails and post in the forums. We have a lot of things in place to prevent automated postings and whatnot.. There are even more coming down the line soon, but when someone just like you or I sits down and posts and sends messages, there's not much we can do to stop it other than lock out accounts. Thanks to the moderators for thier diligence in knicking off his posts as he was putting them in. I'll look to see if there is anything else that I can do to at least slow someone like this down to a point that it's not worth their time.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Hi

I also got his email this am and the one nice thing about the PC, is the "Delete Button" which I used.

If we were getting flooded daily with spam generated off this site or especially sexually explicit language or photos, then that would be a big problem, but hitting the delete button once in a while doesn't bother me. I've got more important things to worry about.

Randy

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Whatever you do, DON"T put in one of those things that ask you to find the letters in some jumbled up, badly distorted Jpegs that is supposed to be readable by humans but not machines.

Some of those sites that have that "Type the letters you see in the picture above into the field below" anti spammer measures,
It takes me 6 or 7 tries to guess the stupid letters. I finally had to just give up and quit using those sites.

What gets me, is that sometimes that scheme to stop automated spammers, wipes out all the fields you filled in. You have to start all over.

Of course, an automated spammer routine will fill all the fields back in, in a flash, but us poor humans have to re-type the whole darn page. What were the anti-spammer software writers thinking?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts